Skip to main content

Japan's Olympic Marathon Team Meets the Press


With renewed confidence, Japan's Olympic marathon team will face the total 438 m elevation difference hills of Paris this summer. The members of the women's and men's marathon teams for August's Paris Olympics appeared at a press conference in Tokyo on Mar. 25 in conjunction with the Japan Marathon Championship Series III (JMC) awards gala.

Women's Olympic trials winner Yuka Suzuki (Daiichi Seimei) said she was riding a wave of motivation in the wake of the new women's national record. When she watched Honami Maeda (Tenmaya) set the record at January's Osaka International Women's Marathon on TV, Suzuki said she was, "absolutely stunned." Her coach Sachiko Yamashita told her afterward, "When someone breaks the NR, things change," and Suzuki found herself saying, "I want to take my shot." After training for a great run in Paris, she said, "I definitely want to break the NR in one of my marathons after that."

Mao Ichiyama (Shiseido) said that she will be fully prepared for what will be her second Olympic marathon. 8th in the 2021 Tokyo Olympics marathon, Ichiyama smiled as she said, "I never thought I'd be an Olympian two Games in a row!" Having won the women's race at the tough and hilly Ome 30 km Road Race in February, Ichiyama has yet to see the equally hard Paris course. "When I stand on the starting line, I want to be able to have the confidence of knowing my training was even harder," she said.

New national record holder Maeda already faces the Olympics with belief in herself. Only 7th in the Olympic trials last October, at the Osaka International Women's Marathon in January she ran 2:18:59 to take 13 seconds off the longstanding NR. "I had a long stretch when I wasn't running well, but breaking the NR gives me a lot of confidence." At the Tokyo Olympics she finished last among the Japanese women in a humiliating 33rd after having won the Olympic trials. "I'm very proud to get to represent Japan at two consecutive Olympics, and I want to be ready to run my absolute best," she said.

3rd at the Paris Olympic trials in October, women's team alternate Ai Hosoda (Edion) said, "As a member of the team I'll be training with the same desire to run my absolute best."

Ahead of their first Olympics, men's team members Naoki Koyama (Honda) and Akira Akasaki (Kyudenko) spent time on the Paris course last fall. After seeing the difficult course full of ups and downs firsthand, both were confident. During the press conference, JAAF marathon development executive Toshihiko Seko asked, "Do you personally think the Paris course is good or bad?" Both men's first reactions were the same, saying enthusiastically, "I think it's a big plus!"

Koyama has been reliably stable in his four marathons over the last year, winning two of them and repeatedly improving his PB to the point of clocking the 10th-fastest ever time by a Japanese man at February's Osaka Marathon, where he ran 2:06:33 for 3rd. "There was a lot of attention on me whenever I raced, but that was good experience to get before the Olympics," he said. The 15-hour trip to Paris to see the course after the Olympic trials last fall was a new experience for Koyama, but while he was surprised by how hilly the course was, he said, "If you train for hills and dealing with heat then there's a lot of potential there."

Akasaki has already been focusing on hills, increasing the number of them on his regular runs at his base in Fukuoka since he earned his Olympic spot last October. In February he won the extremely hilly Ome 30 km Road Race in 1:29:46. "I'm strong on hills," he said.

Both men have already set their plans to build their base for the tough course that awaits them. Koyama plans to head to the U.S. for altitude training starting in June. Akasaki will run outdoor track season through early May to work on his speed. Asked, "What does it take to perform in the main event?" both answered, "Steady training without getting injured."

Third men's team member Suguru Osako (GMO) was absent, saying he had other plans. Before the JMC awards, where he won ¥900,000 for placing 5th, Osako tweeted, "There's these rankings I don't understand. What's this JMC??" The former national record holder's tweet expressing ignorance about his industry drew negative responses from fans.

source article:


Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner