Skip to main content

'Meet the 62-Year-Old Japanese Woman Who Ran a 2:52 Marathon'





JRN talked to women's 60+ marathon world record holder Mariko Yugeta for Runner's World ahead of her planned shot at breaking her own record at this weekend's Nagoya Women's Marathon. Read it here:



photo © 2021 Brett Larner, all rights reserved

Comments

Metts said…
While I want to be inspired and excited, which I am, I feel like this should be the "new normal" for this age group.

She has shown the way, with her mindset, that it can be done.

Just like the gentlemen recently who broke the 60+ age group record that was formerly held by a Japanese runner.
Stefan said…
This was a great read. Mariko Yugeta has given me great inspiration. I can't wait to see how she runs this Sunday at Nagoya. It totally blows my mind that she can break 3 hours at over 60 years of age. What was enlightening was how she adopts and adapts to new and innovative training ideas and nutritional supplements and has an open mind to training. After reading Melissa Duncan's experience in Japan perhaps some coaches (not all) need to keep an open mind with respect to training and perhaps see even better results than they already are achieving. Her mentality and approach is admirable.
Anonymous said…
I'm at my 50s and now triaging for a new PB. It's so inspiring to read this kind of article. It seems that she just keeps her refuel plan simple. I agree.
https://www.staminasports.jp/blog/new-record/

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...