Skip to main content

World Championships Medalist Ari Ichihashi Undergoes Further Examination for Possible Breast Cancer



On Apr. 10, 1999 Wrold Championships silver medalist and 2000 Sydney Olympian Ari Ichihashi announced on her Instagram account that a breast cancer exam had revealed the need for more detailed examination. She said that there was "no problem" with the results but that she "would like to make use of this opportunity to deal with breast cancer and health issues facing women."

Ichihashi currently helps coach a running club, makes frequent guest appearances at races, and does television commentary. In the midst of such a busy lifestyle she had a routine examination and was surprised that, "when the results came back a lump was visible in the mammogram."

Afterward she underwent further examination, illuminating her uneasy feelings as she wrote, "I was only there a few days, but the faces of my beloved family and friends kept coming to me one after another. I feel like I haven't really done much to leave behind so I want to use the time I left meaningfully, but I've realized that in the end, the worst thing would be not being able to see the people I love again."

"The uncertainty and fear were greater than being on the starting line of a marathon," she wrote with honesty. Fortunately, the extended examination revealed that there was "no problem," and that the lump was not a major illness like breast cancer.

Having faced the possibility of having contracted cancer, Ichihashi called on her followers to undergo regular examinations. "My feelings are nowhere near what those who have been diagnosed with cancer are going through, but I hope that others can make use of my experience to undergo regular breast cancer examinations of their own," she wrote. "I too want to take this opportunity to deal properly with breast cancer and women's health issues."

source article:
https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/04/11/0012232119.shtml
translated by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...