Skip to main content

Back From New York, Kawauchi Defies Federation Expectations With Statement of Intent to Run Own Race in Fukuoka

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2015/11/03/kiji/K20151103011443060.html
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/athletics/news/1559367.html

translated and edited by Brett Larner

The evening of Nov. 3 civil servant runner Yuki Kawauchi (28, Saitama Pref. Gov't) returned to Tokyo's Narita Airport from the New York City Marathon, where his 6th-place finish was the best Japanese men's placing in this year's World Marathon Majors.  Looking ahead from New York to December's Fukuoka International Marathon where he will take his shot at making the Rio de Janeiro Olympic team Kawauchi firmly declared his intentions, saying, "The field in New York was even stronger than in Fukuoka.  Experiencing racing in the middle of top-notch world-class speed puts me in a good position for Fukuoka.  One way or another I'll be in the top three.  If I can make the podium then I know I can compete against the best in the world.  If they still don't put me on the Olympic team for that then there's nothing I can do about it."

Expecting the front group to go out fast, Kawauchi has no intention of following an unrealistic pace, instead planning to hold back and conserve his energy while the pacers remain through 30 km.  "People watching on TV might wonder, 'Why isn't he going with the leaders?' but I am going to run a pace that suits me personally," he said, unambiguously stating his determination to stick to his own plan and deliver a solid performance.  Kawauchi told the reporters that he is unconcerned about the inevitable hecklers along the course, saying, "I don't care about people who just want to make some noise."

At the Nov. 15 Ageo City Half Marathon Kawauchi aims to run under 1:03:30.  Immediately after the race he will head to the nearby Saitama International Marathon, where he is an official ambassador, to cheer on the Japanese women aiming for the Rio Olympic team.  It's a tough schedule to fit into one day but he intends to give it all both as a runner and as a supporter.

Translator's note: Kawauchi's comments seem to deliberately challenge JAAF Vice Chairment of Development Katsumi Sakai's April statement regarding current JAAF selection priorities: "You absolutely have to go with the lead group from the beginning.  It's not about winning.  It's about trying to run the target time that we determine.  That is the message we have sent."  The JAAF's target time for automatic selection to the Rio de Janeiro Olympic team is sub-2:06:30, a time only one Japanese man has ever achieved.

Comments

CK said…
Sakai: "It's not about winning..."
Is anyone else here baffled ?
Unknown said…
JAAF Vice Chairment of Development Katsumi Sakai The selection committee is headed by someone who has really thought this through. Clearly he knows what he is doing.
Anonymous said…
It will be one of the top ten days of my life if Kawauchi runs sub 2:06:29 after racing exactly the ways he says he will. gambatte

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...