Skip to main content

Former NR Holder Fujita After Lake Biwa DNF: "I'd Like to Settle on a Retirement Race"

http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2013/03/04/0005785032.shtml

translated and edited by Brett Larner

With a best of 2:06:51, former Japanese marathoner national record holder Atsushi Fujita (Team Fujitsu) ran the Mar. 3 Lake Biwa Mainichi Marathon despite having fractured a rib in training just five days before the race.  Fujita took painkillers before the race and started out in the lead pack but was unable to finish, dropping out at 15 km.  Prior to the race he said, "This will be my last race where I go for national team-class running," but afterward he said, "I can't say anything about what comes next."  Any decision he makes must be made in consultation with his corporate management and coach.  "If I quit after this I'll always have regret hanging over me.  If I could have my choice I'd like to settle on a retirement race," he said, betraying his lingering attachment to the sport at age 36.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner