Skip to main content

Olympic Marathoner Fujiwara Leaves for Altitude Training In Switzerland

http://www.nishinippon.co.jp/nsp/item/311177

translated by Brett Larner

London Olympics marathoner Arata Fujiwara (Miki House) left Tokyo's Narita Airport on July 5 for altitude training in St. Moritz, Switzerland, confidently telling reporters, "I'm not worried about anything.    All I can say is I'll give it my best."

Since mid-June Fujiwara has been based in Hokkaido, where he ran a large number of races in quick succession.  Taking the bull by the horns, the rapid-fire series of competitions has put him in position "to be a realistic challenger for a medal."

The aim of the Swiss training camp will be to recover from the fatigue of four races in a week while running cross-country and doing hill sprints to load as much final strengthening work into his body as he can.  Fujiwara will not return to Japan before the Olympics, currently planning to travel to London on August 4.  Looking toward the final day of the Olympics on August 12, he said, "I'm not going to overdo anything," bottling up his concentration for the big race.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As usual, you don't make any fucking sense. You don't go to a training camp in high altitude to recover from fatigue. If you are in Tokyo you need to hire guys to watch your back from July 14 to 17.
Brett Larner said…
Of all the things that have unexpectedly come my way in the five years since I started JRN, a violent stalker, particularly a middle-aged, Thailand-residing American, is among the strangest and without a doubt the saddest.
Anonymous said…
Keep talking shit. You'll pay for it soon enough.
Brett Larner said…
Sorry to subject you to this, readers. I used to get comments of this sort from this stalker on a regular basis. I'm posting them this time for evidentiary purposes.
Anonymous said…
Ooooh!!! Evidentiary purposes!! Someone's going to get sued!! OOOOOH!!!! SCARY!!! SCARY!!! When do I get the Cease and Desist Letter asshole?? Just have your attorney write out a nice letter and on the address, write "BRETT LARNER'S ANUS, TOKYO JAPAN" and then spread your ass nice and wide, and then SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASSHOLE. Got it?
Brett Larner said…
Apologies again to my other readers. Please bear with us.
Anonymous said…
Does your butt-ugly wife know that she married a man with no testicles? Why don't you meet up and say the same lies and crap that you are talking right to the face of the man? Got any balls? I guess not, but you can prove me wrong. You know my email. Just email me and meet up and say the same stuff RIGHT TO MY FACE, Man To Man. If you just want to hide behind your sorry ass blog and keep talking SHIT, then you have no balls. I don't know about Canada, but out here, if you can't say it right to a man's face, then just shut the fuck up.
Brett Larner said…
I'm pleased to report that this stalker never materialized. All for the best as Japanese immigration tends to take a dim view of foreign citizens travelling here with the intent of criminal activity.

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...