Skip to main content

Olympic Marathoner Yamamoto Promises Kyoto Mayor to Get to "The Next Level"

http://mainichi.jp/area/kyoto/news/20120331ddlk26050637000c.html

translated by Brett Larner

London Olympics men's marathon team member Ryo Yamamoto (27, Team Sagawa Express) went to Kyoto City Hall Mar. 30, promising Mayor Daisaku Kadokawa to run a courageous race at the Olympics.  Yamamoto is registered with the Kyoto Track & Field Association.  At the Mar. 4 Lake Biwa Mainichi Marathon he was the top Japanese finisher, 4th overall in a strong 2:08:44.

Having his audience with Mayor Kadokawa in Kyoto City Hall's drawing room, Yamamoto told him, "In my training over the four months that are left until the main event I want to get myself to the next level.  I want to be running in the lead pack and go one place beyond what I think I can do.  There are a lot of sharp curves, so I think it's going to be a tough course and I plan to go spend time on it and study it carefully."

Mayor Kadokawa smiled as he told Yamamoto, "The way you ran down the leaders at the Lake Biwa Mainichi Marathon was very impressive.  All the citizens of Kyoto support you with all their hearts."  Following his audience with Mayor Kadokawa, Yamamoto paid a visit to Governor Keiji Yamada.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner