Skip to main content

Akinobu Murasawa Confident Ahead of National University Ekiden Championships

http://www.plus-blog.sportsnavi.com/tokaisports/article/672

translated by Brett Larner

At the Oct. 10 Izumo Ekiden, Tokai University long distance ace junior Akinobu Murasawa finished 2nd on the anchor stage.  Five days later he went for the 27:45 Olympic 10000 m A-standard at the Shizuoka Time Trials meet but came up short as he ran only 28:19.67.  Murasawa feels the impact of the double disappointment and talked to us about how it motivates him for the rest of the season.

This year was your first time running the Izumo Ekiden.  You were 2nd on the anchor stage and put Tokai into 4th.  How do you feel looking back on these results?
Murasawa: We didn't reach our goal of a top three finish because I couldn't run the way I should have.  The fact that I was 2nd on the stage just proves that I wasn't 100%.  As far as the rest of the ekiden season goes, that race taught me a lesson.

What lesson is that?
When I couldn't see the gap to the runner ahead of me closing in Izumo part of me gave up.  Without that I think I would have placed better on the stage.  I had the tasuki that everyone before me had done their best to get to me, and in that situation you have the responsibility to give it everything until the end.

When you got the tasuki, how much of a gap to the leaders did you think you could make up?
I was thinking that I could cover about a minute, but to put more pressure on myself and for the benefit of the team I told people that I could handle a two-minute gap.

What was your condition on race day itself?
Up until the race started I didn't think it was bad.  Once I started running, though, my body felt disengaged.  It felt like I wasn't moving forward.  So, I can't say that my condition was very good.

I heard at some point that you felt that something was wrong with your knee.  How was it at the Izumo Ekiden?
It wasn't anything to be worried about before the race, and when I ran on it was no problem either.  Now there is absolutely no pain at all.  But it did remind me not to be careless.

Looking at the rest of the team, do you think there is any work that still needs to be done?
At Izumo most of the guys were 5th or 6th on their stages, so I think it's still another step to reach our goal of top three as a team.  The top three schools [Toyo Univ., Komazawa Univ. and Waseda Univ.] are strong enough to be able to run conservatively, and they all had a lot of their runners in the top three on their stages.  Thinking about this point it's easy to see that there's still a gap in strength between us and the top schools, and I don't think we'll get there by being a team that relies on one guy.

For two Tokai first-years (Hiroyuki Ishikawa on 2nd Stage and Ryo Nakagawa on 4th Stage), Izumo was their first university ekiden experience.  It must have been a big thing for them and for the team as well.
Yeah, that's right.  As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter whether the first-years run well or badly in the ekidens.  It's more important that they get the experience of running and then figure out how they should progress after that.  In that respect I think those two guys did a great job in their first ekidens.

Daiichi Motomura and Shuji Yoshikawa sat Izumo out.
If you start talking that way, things didn't go perfectly for a single team there.  But I think it would have been pretty interesting if the other teams had all run the way they did and Tokai had been perfect.

Five days after Izumo you ran at the Shizuoka Time Trials.  Did you feel tired or have any other problems?
I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any fatigue [from Izumo], but if you let yourself think that way it'll have an impact on your performance so I just said let's see what you can do running only five days after a hard effort.  In Europe during the summer I had some good races with the same kind of span of time, so I wasn't worried about it.

The trip to Europe must have been a good experience.
Yeah, on the European trip I wasn't really sure at the time of the best way to approach all the different races, so personally that was one of the biggest things I learned on that trip.

What did you learn racing twice in five days this time?
That you should forget about the way you always do things before the race.  You can't let yourself think, "This is the way I always do things, so I have to do it that way," but rather adjust the menu to match to your condition on that day and at that time.

What can you say about your race that day in Shizuoka?
I was shooting for the Olympic A-standard, so I can't be satisfied at all with my time.  But, considering that it was hot that day and only 5 days after Izumo maybe it wasn't so bad.  It made me think that my next race should be very interesting.

I would imagine you are focusing on the National University Ekiden Championships and December's Nittai University Time Trials.
Yes, that's the plan.  I've been taking the time to recover from built-up fatigue, so I think I'll be in top shape for Nationals.  I plan to focus the results of all my training over the summer into my run at Nationals.  The stages at Nationals are longer, so I have to be careful in dealing with that.  I've been training for that, but with the shape I'm in now I'll be able to push the pace even if I'm put on one of the short stages.

This will be your third time running Nationals.  How are you approaching it mentally?
My first year I had a cold and my second year I was dealing with a sprain, so I've never had the experience of being in a condition that would let me be satisfied with my run at Nationals.  This time, though, I'm in shape to be competitive and run my way on whatever stage I'm put on.

In closing, please tell us your goals at Nationals as a team and as an individual.
There's no change to our goal of a top three team finish.  My main goal is to do what I can to help accomplish that.  No matter which stage, it helps you get into the right flow of your running to know that it's all for the benefit of the team.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Japan's Olympic Marathon Team Meets the Press

With renewed confidence, Japan's Olympic marathon team will face the total 438 m elevation difference hills of Paris this summer. The members of the women's and men's marathon teams for August's Paris Olympics appeared at a press conference in Tokyo on Mar. 25 in conjunction with the Japan Marathon Championship Series III (JMC) awards gala. Women's Olympic trials winner Yuka Suzuki (Daiichi Seimei) said she was riding a wave of motivation in the wake of the new women's national record. When she watched Honami Maeda (Tenmaya) set the record at January's Osaka International Women's Marathon on TV, Suzuki said she was, "absolutely stunned." Her coach Sachiko Yamashita told her afterward, "When someone breaks the NR, things change," and Suzuki found herself saying, "I want to take my shot." After training for a great run in Paris, she said, "I definitely want to break the NR in one of my marathons after that." Mao

Weekend Racing Roundup

  China saw a new men's national record of 2:06:57 from  Jie He  at the Wuxi Marathon Sunday, but in Japan it was a relatively quiet weekend with mostly cold and rainy amateur-level marathons across the country. At the Tokushima Marathon , club runner Yuhi Yamashita  won the men's race by almost 4 1/2 minutes in 2:17:02, the fastest Japanese men's time of the weekend, but oddly took 22 seconds to get across the starting line. The women's race saw a close finish between the top two, with Shiho Iwane  winning in 2:49:33 over Ayaka Furukawa , 2nd in 2:49:46.  At the 41st edition of the Sakura Marathon in Chiba, Yukie Matsumura  (Comodi Iida) ran the fastest Japanese women's time of the weekend, 2:42:45, to take the win. Club runner Yuki Kuroda  won the men's race in 2:20:08.  Chika Yokota  won the Saga Sakura Marathon women's race in 2:49:33.  Yuki Yamada  won the men's race in 2:21:47 after taking the lead in the final 2 km.  Naoki Inoue  won the 16th r

Takeuchi Wins Niigata Half in Boston Tune-Up

Running in cold, windy and rainy conditions, Ryoma Takeuchi (ND Software) warmed up for April's Boston Marathon with a win at Wednesday's Niigata Half Marathon . Takeuchi sat behind Nittai University duo Susumu Yamazaki and Ryuga Ishikawa in the early stages, then made a series of pushes to pick up the pace. Each time he tucked in behind whoever went to the front, while behind them others dropped off. Before 15 km only Yamazaki and Riki Koike of Soka University were left, and when Takeuchi went to the front the last time after 15 km only Koike followed. By 16 he was gone too, leaving Takeuchi to solo it in to the win in 1:03:13 with a 17-second negative split. "This was my last fitness check before the Boston Marathon next month, and my time was right on-target," he said post-race. "Everything went as planned. I'm looking forward to racing some of the world's best in Boston, and my goal there is to place in the single digits." Just back from tr