Skip to main content

Sang, Simon Win 27,000-Strong Inaugural Osaka Marathon

http://www.pjnews.net/news/291/20111030_2

translated and edited by Brett Larner

Stretching from Osaka City Hall to the south part of Osaka Bay, 27,000 runners took part in Kansai's first mass-participation marathon, the Oct. 30 Osaka Marathon.  With a surge at 30 km Elijah Sang (Kenya) became the race's first champion, winning in 2:12:43.  In post-race comments Sang told the media, "I think this will be a very fast course.  The cheering was incredibly loud, so I never got tired or had to back off.  Things went as planned and I made a move at 30 km.  I was able to win because I was running for the win."

Veteran Lidia Simon (Romania) won the women's race in 2:32:48.  "The course is an easy one without any difficult sections," she said, "but I had trouble maintaining my speed after the turnaround.  I wasn't able to hit my target of a sub-2:30 time, but I did manage to achieve my other goal of winning.  My next goal will be to run in London for my fifth Olympic Games."  Hokkaido Marathon course record holder Kiyoko Shimahara (Second Wind AC) was 2nd in 2:33:36, while local heroine Yuri Yoshizumi (Osaka Nagai AC) came through with a two-minute PB for 3rd in 2:40:31.

The top Japanese man in the race, 4th in 2:14:31, was the popular Yuki Kawauchi, who was once again wheeled away to receive emergency medical treatment after crossing the finish line.  At the post-race press conference Kawauchi commented, "My time was what I was planned, but when the foreign runners sped up at 35 km I slowed down.  I drew strength from all the cheers along the course, and especially out in the bay area near the end where there weren't many people I got a boost when people yelled, 'Go Kawauchi!'"

Kawauchi ran Osaka less than two months after September's World Championships marathon in Daegu, Korea, but with regard to the short period of time between his two races he said, "I can't train a lot for one specific race like corporate runners.  If I don't race a lot my level will go down."  Kawauchi plans to run next month's Ageo City Half Marathon to sharpen his speed for the first domestic selection race for the Olympic team, December's Fukuoka International Marathon.  "Regardless of how things go in Fukuoka," he said, "I'm going to run the Tokyo Marathon as well."

Along with all 27,000 runners on the roads, the cheers from countless roadside supporters as well as the hard work of the the race staff and volunteers combined to help make the first Osaka Marathon an event where Osaka truly become one.

Translator's note: 3rd-place Salim Kipsang (Kenya) won the 2009 Tokyo Marathon.  4th-place Kawauchi's time was the 3rd-best of his career.  2009 Copenhagen Marathon winner Toyokazu Yoshimura (Hyogo Pref.) returned from a year and a half of injury to finish 6th, while notorious 2009 Tokyo Marathon wig runner Nobuaki Takata (Hirakata Masters AC) was 7th.

2011 Osaka Marathon
Osaka, 10/30/2011
click here for complete results

Men
1. Elijah Sang (Kenya) - 2:12:43
2. Aleksey A. Sokolov (Russia) - 2:13:15
3. Salim Kipsang (Kenya) - 2:14:18
4. Yuki Kawauchi (Saitama Pref.) - 2:14:31
5. Kenji Onaka (Team NTT Nishi Nihon) - 2:14:36 - PB
6. Toyokazu Yoshimura (Hyogo Pref.) - 2:21:10
7. Nobuaki Takata (Hirakata Masters AC) - 2:22:28

Women
1. Lidia Simon (Romania) - 2:32:48
2. Kiyoko Shimahara (Second Wind AC) - 2:33:36
3. Yuri Yoshizumi (Osaka Nagai AC) - 2:40:31 - PB

Comments

Samurai Running said…
It was a really fantastic marathon course and the crowd, with a lot of them yelling at us in thick Osaka ben really was something!

Only thing lacking, there could have been more overseas particpants! They were thin on the ground yesterday.
TokyoRacer said…
And congratulations to Scott on his 2:47.

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner