Skip to main content

Tokyo Bay Aqua-Line Marathon Set for March 2010

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/life/trend/090528/trd0905282331012-n1.htm

translated by Brett Larner



On May 28 Chiba Prefecture governor Kensaku Morita announced plans for the Aqua-Line Marathon, a new race which will join Chiba with the city of Kawasaki in Kanagawa Prefecture via the Tokyo Bay Aqua-Line bridge and tunnel system. Details are currently under discussion in conjunction with Kanagawa Prefecture governor Shigefumi Matsuzawa.

The first running of the new marathon is planned for March next year and will accept 20,000-30,000 runners. Current plans call for the race, which will include both a half marathon and full marathon, to start and finish at Chiba's Sodegaura Civic Sports Complex. Runners in the half marathon will turn around at the Aqua-Line's Umehotaru parking area, while marathoners will travel through the Aqua-Line's tunnel to Ukishima in Kawasaki before returning to Chiba. Both prefectures intend to work together to make the plan a reality.

Although many details such as the interruption of traffic flow on the Aqua-Line system have yet to be worked out, if the race is successfully launched it may surpass the Tokyo Marathon as the largest marathon in the country. Governor Matsuzawa commented, "I'd like to run it too."

Translator's note: The above video shows what will be the second half of the marathon course. According to the Wikipedia article linked above, the tunnel section of the Aqua-Line is 9.6 km long, the longest underwater automobile tunnel in the world. This means that after cresting the bridge's 30 m high span in the first 10 km, marathoners will run the next 10 km in a tunnel 60 m under the water, surface briefly in Kawasaki, turn around, run another 10 km through the tunnel, then climb the bridge again in the final 10 km before finishing back in Chiba. The above-water sections will be exposed on all sides to the winds on the bay, which can be considerable in March.

Comments

Brett Larner said…
More sensory deprivation is just what the marathon needed.
Roberto said…
Some years ago I ran a shorter (5K, maybe?) tunnel race in Hong Kong. I was at the front and didn't experience any problems, but I was told that in the mass pack, the air temperature inside the tunnel really skyrocketed (very quickly). All that body heat, in a space not designed to diffuse heat quickly. Interesting, and very likely not considered by the Aqua-Line race organizers ...

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...