Skip to main content

Bringing Back the Classic: Fukushi in Osaka



translated by Mika Tokairin and Brett Larner

It's been a year since 3000 m, 5000 m and half-marathon national record holder Kayoko Fukushi's marathon debut in Osaka, a run which will be remembered as the classic marathon cautionary tale. The video above shows Fukushi's final 500 m. Below is a two-part mini-documentary on her marathon with footage of the earlier stages of the race, alternate footage of her last kilometer not included in the original broadcast, and an interview with Fukushi recorded three weeks after the race. A transcript of Fukushi's comments is included below the two video segments.


Part one of the documentary.


Part two of the documentary.

Transcript of Fukushi's Commentary
I was like Bambi. Everything was new, dehydration and whatnot. I think it was a good experience for me. Maybe it was a curse or something, but I got three DVDs of the TV coverage from friends and they all cut off at the 30 km point! I couldn't see anything that happened after that. Kind of a strange thing.

Everyone was saying, "Beijing! Beijing!" when I did the marathon. What's so important about Beijing? I honestly don't understand why people put so much weight on Beijing. 'Beijing' only reminds me of a Chinese restaurant I know in Hiroshima. When I hear 'Beijing' that's the only thing I can think of. It's a great restaurant, though, so you should really check it out next time you're in Hiroshima. The Olympics? It only makes me think of five rings and spectacular opening ceremonies. That's all. I don't really care about being in the Olympics.

When I was warming up in Osaka I thought, "Oh, this is just the same as a regular track race, nothing special," so I did my usual fifteen-minute warmup. When I started, I thought, "Whoa, am I alone in a marathon?" In track races I'm always in the lead by myself and running alone all the way, but here it was again in the marathon too! I was kind of lonely. I had the idea that in a marathon everyone runs in a pack, so I was thinking, "Huh? Where is everybody? Well, OK then, let's go!" I thought they would catch me sooner or later, but instead of worrying about the people behind me it seemed like for my own sake I'd better focus on finishing as quickly as possible. I just kept going.

I kind of knew I'd be slowing down after 30 km. When I got there I felt it and thought, "OK, here it comes, this must be The Marathon," but I didn't expect to slow down that much. I really respect marathoners. I don't know how they can move their legs that fast. While I was running I was watching them go by and thinking that they all had unbelievably strong legs. "They're so fast! How come you marathoners can still move your legs like that?" I was thinking all these compliments.

I have a vague memory that some people from my company were running at the roadside just ahead of me and I was kind of following them. It would've been such a waste if I'd stopped after 20 km or 30 km and not gotten a finishing record. It would've turned out to be zero. I didn't care if it took 3 hours or whatever, I wanted to finish. I wanted a finisher's towel. They give out these huge bath towels, and I wanted one! I wouldn't get one if I didn't finish.

At the end I was laughing because I felt the gap between my mind and body, like I didn't want to fall but knew I was going to. It was funny, so I started laughing. I wasn't unconscious or disoriented, I was totally lucid and just laughing. I don't regret anything. I would have regretted it if I'd stopped. If I had stopped I might be training for Nagoya now!

What's my goal? It would probably sound better if I said I wanted to try to get a medal in the Olympics, but my desire is not really for that kind of thing. Maybe I'm aiming more for records, like my PB or something. That makes more sense to me and I like it better. Maybe I don't really care where I run as long as I'm setting PBs. Maybe the Olympics are somewhere there beyond that, but maybe not. I hope I can set more PBs, and I'll try.

The marathon was a big experience. It was OK. I'm happy I could finish.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for taking the time to translate and write the transcript! She seems really funny and able to laugh at herself. I imagine after so much success at the shorter distances, she just figured the other women were slower (and they were for 30km!).

Thanks for the great blog and unique insight into Japan's running culture.
Eryn said…
Thanks Brett for the translation and the link. I saw the race live and I remember it lively. Still 2:40 is very impressive result (to me at least). Daniel

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...