Skip to main content

Fukuoka's Elite Meet the Press

http://www.asahi.com/sports/spo/TKY200812060097.html

translated by Brett Larner

The 2008 Fukuoka International Marathon elite field: l-to-r Kobayashi, Sato, Irifune, Matsumiya, Fujiwara, Aburaya, Limo, Kebede, and Martinez

The organizers of the 62nd Fukuoka International Marathon, to be held Dec. 7 with sponsorship from Rikuren, the Asahi Newspaper Group, TV Asahi and the Kyushu Asahi Hoso Corporation, staged a press conference at a Fukuoka hotel on Dec. 5 to introduce this year's elite field to the media. As a selection race for the Japanese national team at next year's World Track and Field Championships in Berlin, this year's Fukuoka features an array of top Japanese marathon men battling for a position on the team.

The fastest man in the field, Kenya's Felix Limo was very positive about his race tomorrow, saying, "I've been struggling with injuries for the last two years but am now completely recovered and am back in the kind of shape I was when I was running 2:06 every time. I'm confident that it'll be a fantastic race."

Beijing Olympics marathon bronze medalist Tsegaye Kebede of Ethiopia was likewise positive: "I'm planning to break my PB of 2:06:40. I've been practicing hard with this single goal in mind."
Spain's Jose Manuel Martinez said, "This is my 3rd marathon in Japan, and I'm here to win. I view not only the Africans but also the Japanese runners as my rivals."

With a PB of 2:07:52, Shigeru Aburaya (Team Chugoku Denryoku) is the fastest domestic runner in Fukuoka this year. "I don't want to just try to be the top Japanese finisher," commented Aburaya. "If I win I will have no complaints."

"My goal is to be the one carrying the Rising Sun," said Arata Fujiwara (Team JR East Japan), who, like rivals Yuko Matsumiya (Team Konica Minolta) and Seiji Kobayashi (Team Mitsubishi Nagasaki) is aiming to make his first national team. Fujiwara, who finished 2nd in February's Tokyo Marathon with an excellent finishing time, added, "I'm going to be out there actively attacking."

Looking toward the 2012 London Olympics, Matsumiya, identical twin of Team Konica Minolta ace Takayuki Matsumiya, commented, "First things first, there are the World Championships. That's why I'm in Fukuoka." Kobayashi said modestly, "I'm only a 2:11 guy so far, but I'll be going for a breakthrough and trying to stay up front."

Satoshi Irifune (Team Kanebo), who finished a disappointing 20th in the 2005 World Championships and has only ever won a marathon once, 2005's Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon, told reporters, "More than anything else I'm looking for a result I can be proud of." Tomoyuki Sato (Team Asahi Kasei) commented, "My practice for Fukuoka has been perfect and I'll be going for a new PB."

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Updates to Japan's Home Team at Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games

This week the JAAF announced changes to the lineup for its home team at next week's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . The main change announced was the withdrawal of Ririka Hironaka from the women's 10000 m, leaving only Nozomi Tanaka to do it as part of a 1500-5000-10000 triple. In theory it seems like it would be pretty easy and swap in an alternate, but apparently not. No announcement of withdrawals for Tomonori Yamaguchi , who missed June's National Championships 5000 m with injury, or high jumper Ryoichi Akamatsu , who hasn't competed since early last October and made the Asian Games team based his 8th-place finish over a year ago at the Tokyo World Championships. Complete entry lists, schedule and results are available here . The latest Japanese team lineup, with current Asian ranking limited to 2 athletes per country, and best performance in 2025-26: Men 100 m 6 - Shuhei Tada (Sumitomo Denko) - 10.10 (+1.4) 9 - Yuki Koike (Sumitomo Denko) - 10.06 (+1.4) 200 m 1 - Tow...