Skip to main content

Kagawa Marugame Half Marathon Sets Feb. 1 Date for 2009 Running

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/shikoku/kagawa/080612/kgw0806120248000-n1.htm

translated by Brett Larner

On June 11 the organizing committee for the 63rd Kagawa Marugame Half Marathon, sponsored in part by the Sankei Newspapers Group, announced in a meeting at Marugame`s Civic Gymnasium that next year`s edition of the race will be held on Feb. 1. 40 officials including race director Tetsuji Arai and Marugame`s mayor attended the meeting. The organizing committee also announced that in light of this year`s record 5405 participants, next year`s 63rd running will move to an "International" format with at least 5 international elite athletes. The Marugame Half Marathon includes men`s and women`s divisions, a high school boys` and girls` 3 km race, a junior high school boys` and girls` 3 km race, and an elementary boys` and girls` 1 km race. Applications open September 1st.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...