Skip to main content

4 Years After Missing Athens, Osaki Hopeful for a Beijing Spot

http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2008030200123
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/top/sp200803/sp2008030410.html
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/osaka/spor/200803/04/spor208184.html

translated and edited by Brett Larner and Mika Tokairin

Clenching his fists, Satoshi Osaki took the top Japanese spot in finishing 3rd overall at the Biwako Mainichi Marathon. He became highly emotional during his post-race interview, weeping openly. "I didn't want to show my emotions....It wasn't easy to keep control until today, though."

Osaki's strength in the marathon lies in his stamina, but he has never been confident about his speed. Throughout the first half of the race, the pace was 3 minutes per km, very fast for him. Around the halfway point he considered letting go of the lead pack. His face at the time showed the strain. "If I had let them I go, all the effort I put into preparing for the race would have turned to nothing." He forced himself to keep it together, going on to drop 2-time winner Jose Rios (Spain) while not letting any Japanese runner catch him.

Osaki ran the last 2.195 km in 6:43, the fastest split of any runner in the race. He broke Arata Fujiwara's time of 2:08:40 from the Tokyo Marathon by 4 seconds, a PB and a result which will send him to Beijing.

"Finally, I'm here," he thought to himself on the starting line. 4 years ago at the Tokyo International Marathon Osaki was the top Japanese finisher and 2nd overall in the Athens Olympics qualifier. He ran 2:08:46 but it not good enough to make the team. Afterwards he drank heavily although this is out of his regular character. He promised himself that he would begin again from the beginning. Last summer he was 6th in the World Championships, a result which gave him a slight chance of being selected for Beijing. His coach Shimizu of Team NTT West Japan advised him to avoid running one of the selection races, telling him, "Why don't you just wait and see?" But with 4 years of heartbreak, Osaki never wavered. "I want to get my Olympic ticket with my own hands."

In January he injured his left hip joint and suffered symptoms of anemia. He couldn't run for 2 weeks. Just 6 weeks before Biwako he put all his concentration into his training and brought this focus to the race. "I felt that these 4 years were long, but at the same time passed in the snap of my fingers," recalling his difficult but fulfilling days.

Speaking at a press conference in an Otsu hotel, Osaki said, "I ran the way I wanted to run. I'm not relieved yet [about making the Olympic team], but when it is officially announced I want to set my new goal." He is eagerly awaiting the confirmation announcement on Mar. 10.

"I've heard that the road surface in Beijing is very hard, so I would like to go have a look," he told reporters, indicating his intent to take part in the pre-Olympic course preview on April 20. Before then, he will be taking the rest of March off to travel with his family and rejeuvenate himself. After resuming training in April, he will be focusing on speedwork in May and June in preparation for the big stage. "If I'm selected for Beijing, I will definitely be going for the gold medal."

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner