Skip to main content

Takahashi Consults With Koide One Last Time; Heads to Kunming for Nagoya Prep

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/sports/news/CK2007122502075007.html
http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2007/12/26/0000782494.shtml
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/other/071113/oth0711132353005-n1.htm

translated and edited by Mika Tokairin and Brett Larner

Sydney Olympics gold medalist Naoko Takahashi (Team Phiten) left Japan on Dec. 25 for a high-altitude training camp in Kunming, China as part of her preparation for trying to qualify for the Beijing Olympic marathon team at the Nagoya International Women`s Marathon on Mar. 9. In the early morning while on the way to Narita Airport, Takahashi discovered that her ticket was actually for Dec. 26, not Dec. 25. Fortunately, she was able to fly on the 25th. In the past Takahashi has always had trouble before her good races, so this may have been a good omen.

Shortly before Takahashi won the 2000 Nagoya International Women`s Marathon to qualify for the Sydney Olympics, she suffered food poisoning while at a training camp in Tokunoshima, Kagoshima Prefecture. Then in 2001 when leaving for a training camp in Boulder she was bitten on her right ankle by an unknown animal. Soon afterward she set a world record at the Berlin Marathon.

At Narita Airport, Takahashi for the first time told reporters her reasons for running in Nagoya, a race she has run and won twice, the last time being 8 years ago. "The last time I qualified for the Olympics was at Nagoya. I know the course and I have good luck there. If I had to choose between Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya, I would run Nagoya because I like it the most. It`s also close to my hometown, so Nagoya is the best for my last Olympic attempt. To be honest, I made this decision in August."

Takahashi`s famed Sydney-era coach Yoshio Koide told a reporter, "Q-chan [Takahashi] contacted me while I was in Boulder. She sounded like she was feeling anxious so I asked her what was wrong. She showed me all her old training diaries and said, 'I tried to run these old workouts but they don't work well any more,' so I gave her a little advice. I told her that her age and muscles are different than they were 10 years ago. She seemed to have modified her training program a little bit on her own over the years, but....." Over dinner in Boulder, Koide convinced Takahashi to focus on March`s Nagoya as her target race to qualify for the Beijing Olympics. "I told her, 'Osaka is too close to think about. You should do Nagoya.'" When Takahashi returned from Boulder on Nov. 10, she told reporters at Narita Airport that she might do either Osaka or Nagoya, but in truth the decision had already been made in Boulder.

After returning from Boulder, Takahashi spent 3 weeks at another training camp in Tokunoshima where her training included a 40 km run. She also watched Noguchi`s victory in the Tokyo International Women`s Marathon on TV. "Noguchi said, 'There are only 2 spots left, so I`m on the edge of a cliff,' but after her victory I am closer to the edge than she was," she laughed.

Takahashi`s dog Lappy couldn`t go with her to Kunming, so she left it in a dog hotel. She herself will be spending New Year`s Eve in China. 2008 will be Takahashi`s Chinese zodiac year, leading her to say, "I think this will be my good luck year, so I hope good things will happen to me." Takahashi is returning to Japan in mid-January, making this her first long training camp in Kunming. To help feel at home she brought her own soy beans, canned sardines, buckwheat flour and mochi. Around the end of January she will go back to Kunming to continue preparing for Nagoya, with plans to return to Japan 10 days before the race.

"I don`t want to think about who else is running, I just want to do my best day to day. In Nagoya I want to run a race which will lead to the next one. I want to make next year the year that makes me glad I`ve kept running." When asked what she wanted for Christmas, Takahashi answered, "I want an injury-free body until March."

Comments

Anonymous said…
EXELENTE QUE TAKAHASHI CONSULTE A KOIDE EL A ENTRENADO A UNA CAMPEONA MUNDIAL EN 1997 Y A UNA CAMPEONA OLIMPICA EN 2000, PIENSO QUE NINGUNA JAPONESA QUE CORRA EN NAGOYA PUEDE DERROTAR A TAKAHASHI ELLA ES MUCHO MAS FUERTE QUE HASHIMOTO , SHIMAHARA O HIROYAMA, ESPERO QUE EL 9 DE MARZO SEA UN BUEN DIA Y NO EXISTA VIENTO Y QUE EL FUNCIONAMIENTO DE TAKAHASHI SEA MUY MUY RAPIDO.-
marcoshashi@hotmail.com
CHILE

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner