translated by Brett Larner
Due to the major earthquake disaster to strike northeastern Japan this year, the selection races for the 2011 World University Games men's and women's half marathon national teams were cancelled*. The following is an amendment to the information for selection published on the Inter-University Athletic Union of Japan website on Jan. 21, 2011 specifying the new selection criteria.
The IUAU will consider the following in selection the World University Games team:
1. Those who have already broken the time standards established by the IUAU.
2. Apart from the men's and women's 5000 m and 10000 m, there are no specific selection races. Athletes' performances will be evaluated based on their times and marks. Athletes in the 5000 m and 10000 m must run in the meets specified below.
3. For the half marathon, the top two men and women in the 10000 m at the selection meet specified below will be named to the half marathon team. Those finishing 3rd or lower, those with elligible times from other races, and even past performances at the half marathon will be considered in naming others to this year's team.
4. Athletes who have broken the established qualifying times on multiple past occasions will also be considered.
1. Half Marathon: 59th Hyogo Relay Carnival 10000 m, Apr. 23, 2011
Also eligible for consideration:
-2011 regional university championships
-95th National Track and Field Championships, June 10-12, 2011
-2011 National University Individual Track and Field Championships, June 17-19
2. 10000 m: 59th Hyogo Relay Carnival Asics Challenge 10000 m, Apr. 23 or 24, 2011
3. 5000 m: 45th Oda Memorial Track and Field Meet, Apr. 29, 2011
*The cancelled selection races were the Mar. 13 Tachikawa Akishima Half Marathon (men) and the Mar. 20 Matsue Ladies' Half Marathon (women).