Notification of Cancelation of the 5th Mito Komon Manyu Marathon
In view of the evolving situation surrounding the spread of the novel coronavirus both domestically and abroad, on Apr. 9 the organizing committee of the 5th Mito Komon Manyu Marathon has decided to cancel this year's race scheduled for October 25.
Prior to the decision to cancel, key issues were explored from a variety of angles, including whether it would be possible to set up medical services and whether recruiting volunteers would be feasible. The result of these discussions was that along with the likelihood of increased risk of infection for participants, it was determined that it would not likely be possible to safely organize or conduct the race, and that the best of course of action would be to cancel this year's event prior to the opening of entries.
We are very, very sorry for everyone who had been looking forward to the marathon, but we ask for your understanding of the situation. We will do everything we can to make next year's 6th edition the best yet, and we thank you all for your loyal support of the Mito Komon Manyu Marathon.
Translator's note: This follows the cancelation of Oct.18 Chiba Aqualine Marathon, which cited the impact of the current/imminent global economic situation on sponsor companies along with the actual threat of the virus itself. Heavy implications for other large fall events between these two.
translated by Brett Larner