Skip to main content

The Voices of Average Runners on the Street as Tokyo Marathon Cancels Mass-Participation Race and Other Races Follow Suit (updated)

In the wake of the Tokyo Marathon Foundation's cancelation of its Mar. 1 mass-participation race over coronavirus concerns, other races across Japan have begun to follow Tokyo's lead.

After initially announcing that it would go ahead, the Feb. 23 Himeji Castle Marathon in Hyogo has now announced it will follow Tokyo's lead and cancel. The Neyagawa Half Marathon in Osaka announced that it will completely cancel its event the same day, which had 5,392 entrants supported by 1,350 volunteers this year. Entry fees will not be refunded, but all entrants will have the option to run next year's race for free. Also on Feb. 23, Saitama's Fukaya City Half Marathon announced it would cancel its race, saying that it would not return entry fees but would send entrants the program and entry goods and give them priority in entering next year, while Aichi's Inuyama Half Marathon canceled without specifying details, saying those will be posted on its website.

The Miura International Half Marathon, scheduled for the same day as the Tokyo Marathon in Miura, Kanagawa, also announced that it is canceling this year's 38th edition in the interest of minimizing health risks to runners, volunteers and spectators. 14,000 runners were entered. Plans for what to do about participants' entry fees will be announced later.

In Tokyo itself, the 38,000 entrants in the mass-participation race have been shut out, with the race going ahead with a field of only about 200 elite runners pursuing Olympic qualification. Entry fees to Tokyo will not be refunded, and while entrants will have priority in entering next year's race they will have to pay the entry fee again, 16,200 yen [~$150 USD] for domestic runners and 18,200 yen [~$165 USD] for international entrants.

Among the mass-participation runners who beat the odds to get into the Tokyo field and spent long hours training for it, people have shown understanding of the Foundation's decision while expressing highly mixed feelings about it. Shigeo Imai, 41, a company worker from Tokyo's western suburb of Chofu, could not hide his disappointment. In his ninth attempt he finally got through Tokyo's entry lottery this year. To help get into shape he biked the 23 km round-trip journey to his office every day, and he had already arranged for a colleague to fill in for him at work on race day. His wife and friends had planned to come into the city to cheer him on. "I'd like to at least know what they're going to do with our entry fees and charitable donations," he said.

Like Imai planning to run Tokyo for the first time, another male runner in his 30's from Tokyo's Chuo Ward commented, "It's a huge shock and I'm completely devastated." He had trained around Tokyo's Imperial Palace in pursuit of setting a PB at the Tokyo Marathon. "At the very least I'd like to have my entry fee back," he said. A woman from Kanagawa in her 30's would have made her marathon debut in Tokyo this year. "I guess there's no avoiding it getting canceled, but I'm still really disappointed that I won't get to run."

Katsuo Honda, 51, a corporate manager from Isahaya, Nagasaki who was going to have been running Tokyo for the first time in seven years, was understanding of the decision, saying, "I had already been thinking about not running due to the coronavirus' spread. The race's cancelation settled that. But at the same time, it's an Olympic year so I definitely wanted to run."

source articles:
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200219-00000014-kobenext-soci
https://bit.ly/2u7HwXq
https://bit.ly/2wjJO6u
https://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/sports/202002/0013124301.shtml
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200218-00000001-mai-spo
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200218-00000045-spnannex-spo
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200218-00000047-spnannex-spo
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Federation Tells World Championships Marathoner Horibata To Go On Diet

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/etc/news/20110307-OHT1T00258.htm translated by Brett Larner Having made the 2011 World Championships marathon team by running a PB of 2:09:25 to come in 3rd overall and as the top Japanese finisher at the Mar. 6 Lake Biwa Mainichi Marathon, Hiroyuki Horibata (24, Team Asahi Kasei), talked to the media at Osaka Airport on Mar. 7. Following Sunday's race Rikuren director Keisuke Sawaki , 67, told Horibata, "Let's cut things down a bit until the World Championships," directing him to go on a diet. The 189 cm Horibata weighs 72 kg [~6'3", 160 lbs]. When he joined Team Asahi Kasei in 2005 at age 18 he weighed 65 kg, and this weight is still generally listed on his profile at races and in the media. "For some reason it never changes," he said with a grin. His coach Takeshi Soh , 58, commented, "If he was hungrier for glory his world would change completely," slapping the 'heavyweight division runner...

World Marathon Majors Japanese Entries

We're back from a short summer break. A week and a half out from the first race of the season's four World Marathon Majors races, here's a look at Japanese athletes scheduled to run. Everything right now is about qualifying for the MGC Race, the official trials race for the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics to be held in the fall of 2027 in Nagoya. The JAAF makes no mistake about wanting to keep its top people racing domestically where it can get a share of revenue from the TV broadcast and race operations, so anyone who decides to race overseas has to do it in a WA platinum label race and hit either 2:06:30 or 2:23:30, regardless of place, course or weather if they want to make the trials. At the same time concessions are make for domestic races, like for example the late-August Hokkaido Marathon where up to 3 men and 3 women can qualify if they go 2:12:00 or 2:32:00. As a result, you get things like last year where amateur runner Yudai Fukuda made the trials by finishing 3rd Jap...

Nakajima Breaks 100 mH NR Twice, Kitaguchi Returns - August Track Roundup

Catching up on what's been happening in track and field this month during our summer break: Men's 3000 m NR holder Nagiya Mori was just off his 5000 m PB at the IFAM Oordegem meet in Belgium on Aug. 1, taking 16th in 13:15.01. Shota Nakano was 26th of 28 in 13:35.02. This year's national champion Ryoma Aoki ran the 3000 mSC but didn't finish. Naoto Hasegawa was the only Japanese athlete at Mutaz Essa Barshim 's What Gravity Tour stop at the Monaco Athletics Festival meet on Aug. 5. Having cleared 2.30 m for the first time earlier this year Hasegawa only managed 2.18 m in Monaco, taking 7th of 10. There were a lot of good performances at the Fuji Hokuriku World Trial meet in Fujiyoshida on Aug. 9, but the one that got the headlines was a 12.62 (-0.2) NR in the women's 100 mH by Hitomi Nakajima . Nakajima actually did it twice, running 12.62 (+2.0) in the heats before repeating in the final. Masumi Aoki also ran big in the heats, with a 12.68 (+2.0) for al...