Skip to main content

Noguchi Back to Training at 1000 km a Month Level

http://www.topics.or.jp/localSports/122545398109/2011/05/2011_13055955239.html

translated by Brett Larner

Athens Olympics marathon gold medalist and national record holder Mizuki Noguchi (Team Sysmex) talked to reporters at the 55th Kansai Jitsugyodan T&F Championships, held May 13-15 at Tokushima's Pocari Sweat Stadium. Making a comeback from long-term injury at last December's National Jitsugyodan Women's Ekiden Championships. she suffered a stress fracture in her left ankle which left her sidelined again. We talked to her about her injury and her timeline for recovery.

How is your leg?
The bone is totally healed and it doesn't hurt at all. Recovery went smoothly, and from the beginning of March I've been back to training seriously. Right now I'm building a base of 20 km runs and am back up to the 1000 km a month level. I'm still feeling on-track for a full comeback.

When do you think you'll be back to racing?
I don't have any solid plans yet but I'd like to try a half-marathon sometime this summer. I don't want to be impatient, so when it's time to work I want to do it seriously and when it's time to back off I want to do that just as seriously. Also in terms of balancing my training and my daily life, I want to keep that on-off pattern. I want to get to the point where after the race I can feel like I ran it well.

You're here in Tokushima Prefecture this time to help raise funds for disaster relief efforts in the northeast.
After the earthquake I wondered what I could do myself to help the victims. I'm grateful that the organizers of the meet helped make it possible for me to be here today to do work toward that end. It's important that all of us, the athletes who are here in the stadium today, participate from the heart. The sooner I make a comeback the sooner I can run from the heart too, and I hope that that will help give inspiration to the people who need it.

In 2004 you ran in the Tokushima Ekiden as an invited athlete. Could you give us a message for all your fans here in Tokushima?
The first time I came to Tokushima was for a training camp in 2001. I've been here at least ten times since then, so for me it's a place full of memories. I'm very disappointed that I wasn't able to run here today but I want to come back and run here again once I'm fully ready.

Mizuki Noguchi - Born in Mie Prefecture, age 32
At the 2005 Berlin Marathon Noguchi set the Japanese and Asian marathon record of 2:19:12, a mark which still makes her the all-time third-fastest woman. Including her gold medal at the Athens Olympics she has won five of her six marathons, her sole loss a silver medal at the 2003 World Championships. She has largely stayed out of the public eye since her injury at December's National Jitsugyodan Women's Ekiden Championships.

Comments

dadsweb said…
Great to hear Noguchi is running seriously again. I hope she can stay injury free and qualify for London. It would be great to see her run a competitive marathon again.
Kevin said…
There aren't any half marathon in summer except sapporo. Why did she run Berlin Marathon? She never runs outside of Japan.
Brett Larner said…
Well, Sapporo is the most obvious choice, yes, but there is also Shibetsu, for example, which Kayoko Fukushi won last year as a quiet, low-profile comeback to the distance.

Berlin has the reputation in the Japanese industry as being the place to go when you want to go for a time goal. Noguchi went there specifically to run the Japanese national record.
ray pickles UK said…
what are the qualifying races for the Olympic Games for female Japanese runners?
Brett Larner said…
If you are talking marathon, a medal at the Daegu World Championships gets a guaranteed Olympic spot, plus Yokohama (Nov.), Osaka (Jan.) and Nagoya (Mar.).
yuza said…
I can not believe she is only running 1000kms a month, she is going soft in her old age.

I really hope she stays fit and qualifies for the Olympics.

I am getting way ahead here, but I am really excited about the possibility of Noguchi and Fukushi representing Japan at the Olympics in the marathon.

It would be great to see.
dadsweb said…
Is Fukushi even planning on running running a full marathon again? It's been three years since the last one, and it didn't finish well. It wouldn't surprise me if Ozaki medals in Korea, and takes one of the London spots.
Brett Larner said…
Apparently she said something to that effect, i.e. that she would probably run one of the winter selection races to go for the marathon at the Olympics, shortly before Stanford. Stanford had the feeling to me of a last try for the 10000 m NR before moving on.

Ozaki, Fukushi and Noguchi. What a great team that would be. So many different stories there.
ray pickles said…
Thanks Brett, sorry should have stated I was asking about the Marathon!
Kevin said…
She lost her 25km world record to Mary Keitany.
Brett Larner said…
Kevin--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4aP2iKa16g

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...