by Brett Larner
photos by Daniel Seite
#30 Kenta Murayama (Meisei H.S.) on the shoulder of 2010 Tokyo Marathon winner #16 Masakazu Fujiwara (Team Honda).
Hot from a 13:49.45 PB two weeks ago, Meisei High School's Kenta Murayama ran the fastest 10000 m time of the year by a Japanese high schooler, 28:23.18, to finish 3rd in the A-heat at the 213th Nittai University Time Trials meet Dec. 4 in Yokohama. Ahead of Murayama were only Kenyans Jacob Wanjuki and Samuel Ndungu of Team Aichi Seiko, Wanjuki winning in a strong PB of 27:49.44. Among the Japanese competition to finish behind Murayama were 2010 Tokyo Marathon winner Masakazu Fujiwara (Team Honda) and 2010 Kanto Regional University 5000 m champion Taku Fujimoto (Kokushikan Univ.), who battled head to head to finish 5th and 6th in 28:27.52 and 28:27.66.
10000 m A-Heat winner Jacob Wanjuki (Kenya/Team Aichi Seiko).
Murayama's time improved the high school year best time by 30 seconds over the sub-29 time set two weeks ago by Yuma Hattori (Sendai Ikuei H.S.). Combined with his 5000 m mark it sets him as the star recruit for next spring's incoming university class. Look for him to join Komazawa University's squad come April. The Nittai Time Trials continue tomorrow with 35 heats of 5000 m.
213th Nittai University Time Trials Day One
click here for complete results
Men's 10000 m Heat 11
1. Jacob Wanjuki (Kenya/Team Aichi Seiko) - 27:49.44 - PB
2. Samuel Ndungu (Kenya/Team Aichi Seiko) - 28:08.14
3. Kenta Murayama (Meisei H.S.) - 28:23.18 - PB
4. Takayuki Hamaguchi (Team Shikoku Denryoku) - 28:26.77 - PB
5. Masakazu Fujiwara (Team Honda) - 28:27.52
6. Taku Fujimoto (Kokushikan Univ.) - 28:27.66 - PB
7. Tomoyuki Morita (Team Kanebo) - 28:29.47
8. Takahiro Yamanaka (Team Honda) - 28:33.69 - PB
9. Kazuya Watanabe (Team Shikoku Denryoku) - 28:34.25
10. John Wainaina (Kenya/Team Omokawa Murakiya) - 28:36.18
(c) 2010 Brett Larner
all rights reserved
photos (c) and (p) 2010 Daniel Seite
all rights reserved