translated by Brett Larner
Defending champion Gideon Ngatuny (Team Nissin Shokuhin) won his second-straight Nagoya Half Marathon on Nov. 23, breaking his own course record with a new PB of 59:50 at the 25th anniversary edition of the Rikuren-certified event. Yoshiki Otsuka (Team Aichi Seiko) was the top Japanese finisher, 6th overall in 1:03:29.
Julia Mombi (Team Universal Entertainment) had an easy victory in the women's race, running 1:10:35 to take the win over Maho Matsuno (Chukyo Women's Univ.) who was 2nd in 1:19:12.
2009 Nagoya Half Marathon - Top Finishers
Men - click here for complete results
1. Gideon Ngatuny (Team Nissin Shokuhin) - 59:50 - CR, PB
2. Jacob Wanjuki (Team Aichi Seiko) - 1:01:30
3. Samuel Ndungu (Team Aichi Seiko) - 1:01:32
4. Mekubo Mogusu (Team Aidem) - 1:02:01
5. James Mwangi (Team NTN) - 1:02:35
6. Yoshiki Otsuka (Team Aichi Seiko) - 1:03:29
7. Kiyokatsu Hasegawa (Team JR Higashi Nihon) - 1:03:29
8. Akinori Shibutani (Team Yanagawa Seiki) - 1:03:31
9. Satoru Kasuya (Team Toyota Boshoku) - 1:03:33
10. Satoshi Abe (Team Toenic) - 1:03:34
Women - click here for complete results
1. Julia Mombi (Team Universal Entertainment) - 1:10:35
2. Maho Matsuno (Chukyo Women's Univ.) - 1:19:12
3. Sachiko Kano (Gifu Athletics Association) - 1:21:52
Translator's note: Well, that explains why Ngatuny was sitting around pouring water for his teammates during Nissin's track workout on Saturday. This was his first time under the hour mark.