Skip to main content

Restaurant Owner Selected as Olympic Torchbearer Dies in Fire After Becoming Despondent Over Impact of Coronavirus Crisis (updated)

On the evening of Apr. 30, the 54-year-old male owner of a restaurant in Tokyo's Nerima ward specializing in tonkatsu deep fried pork cutlets died from full-body burns in a fire at the restaurant. The man had been one of the people chosen as a torchbearer for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics torch relay. With the coronavirus crisis causing both the postponement of the Olympics and a loss of business at the restaurant, the man had recently started talking pessimistically about the future to those around him. With evidence of the man's body having been doused in tonkatsu cooking oil, metropolitan police from the Hikarigaoka Police Station are carefully examining the cause of the fire.

At around 10:00 p.m. on the 30th, the fire broke out in the tonkatsu restaurant on the first floor of a three-story building. A neighborhood resident who noticed smoke called the fire department. Firefighters found the floor and part of a wall burning, with the man lying on the floor in the customer seating area. He was rushed to a hospital but was pronounced dead an hour and a half later. Given the circumstances of the scene police believe that he may have poured cooking oil over himself, but no suicide note has been found.

According to local residents and an interview on a local cable TV program, the restaurant has been in business for 50 years and the man was its third owner. Born in Toda, Saitama, he moved to Tokyo's Itabashi ward when he was in junior high school. After attending a local high school, he studied economics in Hosei University's night school program, working a part-time job during the day to pay for tuition. After completing his degree he also studied at Keio University. After earning a master's degree at the Nihon University graduate school he and his wife took over the restaurant run by her parents and started operating it together. He played a leading role in the local business association's activities and was well-known as having a strong sense of community.

The man's hobby was marathon running. In 2005 he ran his first marathon at the Arakawa Shimin Marathon in Tokyo and was greeted at the finish line by his three daughters. He was interviewed by Runners magazine for a feature on first-time marathoners, and runners from across Japan who read the article began coming to his restaurant whenever they came to Tokyo. Many came to eat every year when they ran the Tokyo Marathon.

The man started taking part in races around the country and hoped to run a marathon in all 47 prefectures. In 2010 he did his first 100 km ultramarathon. In the final part of the race he encountered a female runner in distress who asked him for help. Stopping to help her and accompanying her all the way to the finish, he went over the finish cutoff time and didn't receive a finisher's certificate. When he returned home his daughters gave him a handmade one they had made themselves. His dream was to help create a full marathon in Nerima.

In December last year he was selected as an Olympic torchbearer. Writing about how much it meant to him, the man wrote on his Facebook page, "My wife and children were kind enough to correct all the mistakes on my application. It's like a dream." He would have carried the torch through his neighborhood of Nerima on July 18.

Not long after he was chosen, the coronavirus began to spread worldwide. In March when it had become clear that the Olympics were at risk the man wrote on his Facebook page, "I can't help but hope that the torch will still be able to reach the New National Stadium." As the postponement of the Olympics became more and more likely, the man's deep disappointment was obvious to those around him. But at the same time, he posted positively on Facebook, writing, "I'm thankful that I'll be able to keep welcoming customers to our restaurant and cooking for them, today and going forward."

On Mar. 24 the official postponement of the Olympics was announced, and on Apr. 7 the national government issued a declaration of emergency. In response to the metropolitan government's request for restaurants and bars to cut back on their operations, on Apr. 13 the man closed the tonkatsu restaurant temporarily. On Facebook he wrote, "I love to work. For almost 30 years family vacations have been a rarity, and I've worked even on national holidays. It makes me question myself, but I want to do my part to help prevent the disease from spreading."

The man tried operating the restaurant on a takeout-only basis, but he told a friend, "If the corona doesn't go away then no matter what I do it's going to fail." On the 29th the man told the same friend, "I want to quit doing the restaurant." A 78-year-old colleague from the local business association was worried about the man's despondent state of mind and consulted the Nerima ward office for help on the 30th, the day of the fire. "Everybody loved him," the colleague said. "Why did this have to happen?"

In his final Facebook post on the 28th, the man wrote about not being able to find a supply of the disinfectants needed to reopen the restaurant, revealing the hidden pain of not being able to see a way forward. "We're back to zero," he wrote. At that time the likelihood that the state of emergency would be extended past its original May 6 ending date was being discussed in the media. At the end of his post he wrote, "For the sake of your own life, your family, your loved ones, your society, stop the spread of the disease. I've taken those words to heart again."

A family spokesperson told the media, "We can't even begin to understand what has happened."

source articles:
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee


Most-Read This Week

Hokkaido's Asahikawa Ryukoku H.S. Builds 330 m Greenhouse Indoor Track

Targeting its sixth-straight win at the Oct. 23 Hokkaido Prefecture High School Girls Ekiden, Asahikawa Ryukoku H.S. has complete construction of the Asahikawa Ryukoku Indoor Track, at 330 m in length the nation's largest running-specific circuit course entirelyely enclosed in vinyl greenhouse material. The ceremony marking the track's official completion is scheduled for Oct. 28th. In a part of the country known for heavy snowfall, the hope is that Asahikawa Ryukoku's new year-round training ground will help it make the jump to becoming a factor at the national level. The indoor track was built on the 1650 square meter campus of the former Asahikawa Toei H.S., where Asahikawa Ryukoku H.S. will relocate next summer. Coated in durable vinyl, the massive white torus of the track stands out from its surroundings. Ranging from 5.4 m to 7.2 m in width, the track's housing is wide enough to accommodate four lanes. In the future, two lanes will be covered with artificial turf

Kanazawa Marathon to Stop Runners at 21 Locations Due to Election

Due to be held the same day as voting in the upcoming election for the House of Representatives, runners at the Kanazawa Marathon can expect to be stopped at over 20 intersections on the course in order to allow voters on their way to the polls to pass without interference.  Scheduled to be held Oct. 31 after last year's race was canceled, the Kanazawa Marathon will take place while voting polls for the House of Representatives election are open. On race day, road closures for the marathon will be in place for up to 6 hours, but the locations of 14 polling stations on the course mean that voters will need to be able to cross through intersections. 50,000 voters are expected to use these locations, and while city officials are calling for people to utilize early voting or polling stations not affected by road closures then have made the decision to place security personnel at 21 intersections to stop runners when necessary. The Kanazawa Marathon already has this policy in place at

February's Ome 30 km Road Race Canceled Due to Pandemic

On Oct. 14 the organizers of Tokyo's Ome 30 km Road Race announced that the popular event's 55th running, scheduled for Feb. 20, 2022, will not go ahead and will instead be postponed a year. Organizers said that due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic they had concerns about being able to stage the event in a way safe for runners, local residents, race staff and volunteers. The Ome 30 km's 55th running was originally scheduled for February, 2021 but was postponed to 2022, meaning the new decision will in effect be a two-year postponement.  The Ome 30 km Road Race was founded in 1967. Starting in the western Tokyo suburb of Ome, the race follows a mountainous route along the upper Tama River gorge and back. Featuring both 30 km and 10 km races, the race seen wins from Olympic gold medalists like Naoko Takahashi  and Mizuki Noguchi , and is one of Japan's most popular races for amateur runners, with over 12,000 finishers every year. In place of the 2022 event, organizers