Athletes who have cleared the IAAF's newly released entry standards and win their event at the National Championships to be held in Fukuoka in late June will be named to the national team. Gold medalists at April's Doha Asian Championships who also win at the National Championships will likewise be named to the team. National Championships winners who do not have the standard will have until Sept. 15 to hit it in order to join the final team roster.
Up to three athletes can qualify per event. Selection of additional athletes beyond National Championships winners will be based on the following criteria:
- The highest-ranked Japanese athlete in the Sept. 16 edition of the IAAF world rankings to have cleared the entry standard in their event.
- Doha Asian Championships gold medalists who have cleared the entry standard in their event.
- Athletes who have cleared the entry standard in their event and who the JAAF like.
- Doha Asian Championships gold medalists who the JAAF like.
- Additional athletes may be chosen after the Sept. 17 deadline for final entries if offered the opportunity to compete by the IAAF based on world ranking.
The JAAF also approved a plan for the men's and women's 10000 m to be held separately from the National Championships. Instead they will be held May 19 at Osaka's Nagai Stadium where the Golden Grand Prix Osaka meet will take place on that date. The concept is that by shifting the timing of the 10000 m earlier it will enable athletes to target better 5000 m performances at the National Championships a month later. Because qualification for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics is expected to be based on the IAAF's world rankings the JAAF will seek to maximize the conditions and points athletes can earn in the races.
The Doha World Championships will be held Sept. 27 to Oct. 6. In the three months between then and June's National Championships athletes who have qualified for the team will be obligated to file reports on their training with the national Olympic development coach for their event. Additional requirements for mandatory medical checks and dealing with situations in which athletes who qualify for the team but sustain injuries were also established.
translated and edited by Brett Larner