Skip to main content

Fukuoka Winner Yuma Hattori: "Running Isn't Fun"



At the Dec. 2 Fukuoka International Marathon Yuma Hattori (25, Toyota) ran 2:07:27 to win and become the eighth-fastest Japanese man ever. It was the first time since 2004 that a Japanese man became the Fukuoka champion. Hattori now stands among the leading competitors in the fierce battle to make the 2020 Tokyo Olympics marathon team.

Hattori and his younger brother Hazuma Hattori (23, Toenec) were star members of Toyo University's 2014 Hakone Ekiden winning team. They rank among the most famous brothers in Japanese athletics, but neither of them actually wanted to be a runner. "I wanted to play soccer," Hattori said. "Hazuma wanted to play table tennis. We're from the sticks out in Niigata and my junior high school didn't have a soccer team. I thought about joining a club team, but it was too far away."

"My dad had been a decathlete," Hattori continued, "so I started doing track and field as well. My mom was a cross-country skier, so both of them had been involved in sports that require endurance. We also had a table tennis table at home and we used to play all the time. That's why Hazuma really wanted to join the table tennis team, but our parents told him, 'You shouldn't do only table tennis.' He didn't really have any choice but to join the track and field team too. If there had been a soccer team at my junior high I'd definitely be playing soccer now and things would be kind of different. "

Despite the talent they show now, both Hattori brothers started their careers in athletics feeling that they didn't have any other options. Even after joining their school's team that feeling didn't change. "It's still true now," he said. "There's not much about running that feels fun. Maybe it's fun when I have a good performance, but over 90% of the time I don't enjoy the training at all. There are times I ask myself, 'Why are you doing this?' I think that deep down in my heart I just don't like running. If I had the chance I'd still rather be a soccer player."



Although soccer remained his one true love, Hattori joined the Toyota corporate men's team after graduating from Toyo. "I thought that if I joined a corporate team after graduating from university I'd be able to become competitive in the marathon," he explained. "Toyota is one of the biggest companies in Japan and one that represents the nation. I thought that as a person I still lacked life experience, education and knowledge, so more than for its running team I decided to join Toyota in order to broaden those parts of myself."

Since joining Toyota Hattori has grown as both a runner and a person. Fukuoka was his fourth marathon, and he really hit it out of the park. In his first three marathons he fell off pace after 35 km, but this time was different. Hattori split 14:40 from 35 to 40 km in Fukuoka, the same kind of strength Japanese national record holder Suguru Osako showed in negative splitting his race. Behind that strength may have been the power of mental imaging. But not the usual kind.

"I don't want to have the image of when I win or run well in mind," he said. "What I mean is that I keep focused on the hardships and throw away all the feel-good stuff when I'm training." One good thing that came out of Fukuoka was earning a place at the MGC Race, Japan's 2020 Tokyo Olympics marathon trial race. "I can say that I have the desire to run the marathon at the Tokyo Olympics," Hattori said. That clearly articulated desire is one step closer to becoming a reality for him.

source article:
https://smart-flash.jp/sports/56727
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Simon Sumida said…
I'm not so sure he really hates running. When he says: "I can say that I have the desire to run the marathon at the Tokyo Olympics," he's expressing passion, therefore love, not hate. From my humble point of view, telling to yourself you hate running is a way of coping with the effort it requires to train at that level...

Most-Read This Week

Ninja Runner Yuka Ando Leads Japanese Women's Marathon Team in London: "I Want to Go For It"

Her form has been dubbed "ninja running." Both arms held straight down with almost no movement. That idiosyncratic style carried Yuka Ando , 23, to the fastest-ever marathon debut by a Japanese woman, 2:21:36, at March's Nagoya Women's Marathon to land at #4 on the all-time Japanese lists. All at once Ando found herself catapulted to the top level of women's marathoning, a candidate for Japan's next great marathoner. When she was younger Ando ran moving her arms like other runners, but she had a bad habit of moving robotically, her upper body and lower body not working in sync. The turning point came in 2014 when she joined Suzuki Hamamatsu AC . Working there with coach Masayuki Satouchi to eliminate the faults in her form, the pair arrived at the ninja running style that let her run relaxed. "Other people keep asking me, "Isn't it hard to run like that?" but for me it's comfortable," she said. The efficient form helped her mai

Yamaguchi 10th at United Airlines NYC Half - Weekend Overseas Results

2024 national cross-country champion Tomonori Yamaguchi was the top Japanese finisher in the men's race at the United Airlines NYC Half , taking 10th in 1:04:36. A 2nd-year at Waseda University , Yamaguchi was one of three collegiate runners running New York in the 11th year of JRN's development program collaboration between the Ageo City Half Marathon and the New York Road Runners, a program that has seen people like future half marathon and marathon NR breaker Yuta Shitara and Paris Olympic team member Akira Akasaki make their international debuts. Yamaguchi's Waseda teammate Taishi Ito started fast, going with the leaders through 5 km in 14:29 before losing touch. Hosei University senior Rei Matsunaga went through in 14:42 in his last race before joining the JR Higashi Nihon corporate team in April. Yamaguchi, who caught COVID after winning last month's National Cross-Country Championships, started more conservatively with a 15:11 first 5km. But where both Ito

Rui Aoki Wins National University Men's Half Marathon - Weekend Results

Yuka Ando 's win at the Nagoya Women's Marathon was the big news of the weekend, but there were other high-level races happening, even in Nagoya. Held in parallel with the marathon, the Nagoya City Half Marathon saw Australians Natalie Rule and Ed Goddard take easy wins by about 2.5 minutes each, Rule in 1:13:57 and Goddard in 1:04:01. The new Biwako Marathon also had a non-Japanese winner, China's Yousheng Guan scoring 1st in 2:14:58 with Japan's Hirohito Sugai next in 2:16:40. Mikiko Ota won the women's race in 2:50:44. The Shizuoka Marathon returned for its first running in five years, with club runner Shumpei Oda leading the top 7 men under 2:20 in 2:15:36. Women's winner Remi Tanaka ran 2:41:23, beating runner-up Ayumi Sano by exactly 7 minutes. And in Tokyo, Rui Aoki continued what has been a great season so far for Koku Gakuin University with a win at the National University Men's Half Marathon . Aoki and Hiro Konda of Chuo Gakuin Unive