Skip to main content

Running the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Marathon Course

Tomorrow is two years to the day until the 2020 Tokyo Olympics women's marathon. On July 18 the IOC signed off on the Organizing Committee's proposal to start both the women's and men's marathons at 7:00 a.m. With Japan experiencing a record-breaking heatwave this summer this has caused a lot of concern in both the public and the media about the health and safety of the athletes, officials, volunteers and spectators during the marathons and other long outdoor events. As a 20-year+ resident of Tokyo and 14-year resident runner in the central area of the city I'd have to agree with the concerns, but since the IOC and other powers that be seem to think it'll be fine let's put my money where their mouth is.


Tomorrow I'll go out to run the Olympic marathon course at the actual time the women's race is scheduled to take place and report on the weather conditions throughout the run. A week later I'll do it again at the time the men's race will happen. I'd expect most of the women in the Olympic marathon to run more or less in the 2:30 to 3-hour range and the men in the 2:15 to 2:45 range. Needless to say I won't be running as fast as them, so to keep it within the same time frame tomorrow I'll run the first 20 km of the course, cut out the middle 8 km and go straight into the last 14 km. Next week I'll do the first 10 km then go from the 20 km to the finish, probably cutting out the turnaround leg between 31 and 35 km.

The forecast for tomorrow is for cloudless skies, around 60% humidity, almost no wind, and temperatures of 28˚C at the start climbing to around 33˚C by the time I plan to finish. Actual temperatures in the sun are likely to be quite a bit higher. NHK may be coming down to shoot some footage and talk to me about the experience, but either way I'll be live tweeting video and pics during the run so be sure to get in on the fun. If you do, feel free to buy me a sports drink and/or contribute to my hospital bills after the run via the link below. See you in the morning.

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Mike Mullins said…
Ganbatte kudasai! Good luck...

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...