translated and edited by Brett Larner
More than 10,000 people took on the Kurobe Meisui Marathon in Kurobe, Toyama on Sunday, the most in the event's 32-year history. Special guests included former world record holder and Sydney Olympics gold medalist Naoko Takahashi and 2014 Asian Games bronze medalist Yuki Kawauchi (Saitama Pref. Gov't). "Let's make this the liveliest race in Japan, in the world!" Takahashi called out to runners at the start.
Kawauchi set the men's course record, winning in 2:17:58. 2011 World Championships marathoner Azusa Nojiri (Hiratsuka Lease) likewise set a new women's course record of 2:44:56.
Its popularity increasing due to the opening of the new Hokuriku shinkansen line, Kurobe hosted a record-setting 10,485 starters in the marathon, 10 km and 5 km divisions. Nice weather meant comfortable running for all under clear blue skies.
32nd Carter Memorial Kurobe Meisui Marathon
Kurobe, Toyama, 5/24/15
click here for complete results
1. Yuki Kawauchi (Saitama Pref. Gov't) - 2:17:58 - CR
2. Takaya Sakamoto (Tokyo T&F Assoc.) - 2:23:51
3. Naoki Inoue (Ibaraki T&F Assoc.) - 2:27:15
1. Azusa Nojiri (Hiratsuka Lease) - 2:44:56 - CR
2. Haruka Shiina (Gifu Joshi Univ.) - 3:02:14
3. Junko Otani (Hyogo T&F Assoc.) - 3:05:06