translated and edited by Brett Larner
Seven events saw finals on the first day of the Kyoto Track and Field Championships at Nishi Kyogoku Sports Park Field. Among them, Kyoto native and Ayabe H.S. graduate Haruka Kyuma (1st yr., Tsukuba Univ.) ran 15:54.33 to win the women's 5000 m for the first time. Kazuki Noda (Kyoto Sangyo Univ.) won the men's 5000 m in 14:23.60, while 38-year-old Yoshihisa Fukumoto (Kyoto T&F Assoc.) took his eleventh high jump title, five years since his last win.
Translator's note: Kyuma's identical twin sister Moe Kyuma ran for the Japanese team at this year's World Junior Championships.
Kyoto Track & Field Championships Women's 5000 m
Nishi Kyogoku Sports Park Field, Kyoto, 7/13/12
1. Haruka Kyuma (Tsukuba Univ.) - 15:54.33
2. Chika Ogawa (Bukkyo Univ.) - 16:12.69
3. Nanami Aoki (Ritsumeikan Uji H.S.) - 16:14.08
4. Chinami Mori (Bukkyo Univ.) - 16:22.03
5. Ai Furukubo (Kyoto Sangyo Univ.) - 16:24.19
6. Chisaki Takegami (Bukkyo Univ.) - 16:26.94
7. Shiho Takechi (Bukkyo Univ.) - 16:28.74
8. Asami Furuse (Team Kyocera) - 16:29.98