by Brett Larner
photos by Daniel Seite
One of three current teams coached by members of Waseda University's record-setting mid-90's team, Jobu University pulled off a surprise win at this year's Hakone Ekiden Qualifier, a 20 km road race in and around Tokyo's Showa Kinen Park that determines the second tier of teams to join the ten already seeded for January's main event. The youngest team in the field, under head coach Katsuhiko Hanada Jobu has developed a heavy emphasis on overall quality and team running rather than relying on individual aces, a trait that served has served it well in the past and was again the key to its success this year. Ranked only 5th coming into the race Jobu ran consistently, outside the top ten for the first half, 5th at 15 km, and on top by the end. It was one of only two schools to put two runners into the top ten, one of them courtesy of a very nice run from first-year Shun Sato. By contrast, top-ranked Josai University, coached by another member of the legendary Waseda squad, Seiji Kushibe, was overly dependent upon the success of its top two men and, when they performed poorly after starting fast, finished 7th to barely sneak into the qualifying bracket.
2011 Hakone Ekiden Yosenkai 20 km Qualifying Road Race
Showa Kinen Park, Tokyo, 10/15/11
Top Individual Results
click here for complete individual results
1. Cosmas Ondiba (4th yr., Kenya/Yamanashi Gakuin Univ.) - 59:26
2. Yusuke Sato (3rd yr., Nihon Univ.) - 59:28
3. Masaki Ito (4th yr., Kokushikan Univ.) - 1:00:04
4. Benjamin Gandu (3rd yr., Kenya/Nihon Univ.) - 1:00:15
5. Naoto Miyagawa (4th yr., Asia Univ.) - 1:00:16
6. Keisuke Fujii (3rd yr., Chuo Gakuin Univ.) - 1:00:16
7. Hirotaka Tamura (2nd yr., Nihon Univ.) - 1:00:21
8. Toshikatsu Ebina (2nd yr., Teikyo Univ.) - 1:00:26
9. Kensuke Ujihara (3rd yr., Jobu Univ.) - 1:00:28
10. Shun Sato (1st yr., Jobu Univ.) - 1:00:31
Top Team Results
click here for complete team results
top nine schools qualify for 2012 Hakone Ekiden
1. Jobu University - 10:12:08
2. Yamanashi Gakuin Univ. - 10:12:43
3. Kokushikan Univ. - 10:13:38
4. Tokyo Nogyo Univ. - 10:13:58
5. Kanagawa Univ. - 10:14:03
6. Teikyo Univ. - 10:14:18
-----7th-9th include points from May's Kanto Regionals
7. Josai Univ. - 10:16:40 (-2:45)
8. Chuo Gakuin Univ. - 10:16:07 (-0:45)
9. Juntendo Univ. - 10:19:39 (-3:25)
-----did not qualify
10. Hosei Univ. - 10:19:53 (-3:10)
11. Nihon Univ. - 10:20.38 (-3:40)
12. Senshu Univ. - 10:18:27 (-0:20)
2012 Hakone Ekiden Field
1. Waseda Univ.
2. Toyo Univ.
3. Komazawa Univ.
4. Tokai Univ.
5. Meiji Univ.
6. Chuo Univ.
7. Takushoku Univ.
8. Nittai Univ.
9. Aoyama Gakuin Univ.
10. Koku Gakuin Univ.
11. Jobu Univ.
12. Yamanashi Gakuin Univ.
13. Kokushikan Univ.
14. Tokyo Nogyo Univ.
15. Kanagawa Univ.
16. Teikyo Univ.
17. Josai Univ.
18. Chuo Gakuin Univ.
19. Juntendo Univ.
20. Kanto Regional Univ. Select Team
2012 Hakone Ekiden Kanto Regional Univ. Select Team Short List
Yusuke Sato (3rd yr., Nihon Univ.)
Benjamin Gandu (3rd yr., Kenya/Nihon Univ.)
Naoto Miyagawa (4th yr., Asia Univ.)
Hirotaka Tamura (2nd yr., Nihon Univ.)
Shusei Ohashi (3rd yr., Senshu Univ.)
Yuki Tago (2nd yr., Hosei Univ.)
Aritaka Kajiwara (4th yr., Shoin Univ.)
Taiki Yoshimura (1st yr., Ryutsu Keizai Univ.)
Yoshihiro Shinohara (3rd yr., Hosei Univ.)
Masashi Ota (3rd yr., Soka Univ.)
Yasunori Onuma (3rd yr., Asia Univ.)
Shingo Ajima (4th yr., Senshu Univ.)
Hiroki Kamada (3rd yr., Daito Bunka Univ.)
Kazuki Kojima (1st yr., Soka Univ.)
Shunsuke Mikata (4th yr., Asia Univ.)
Kota Hoshino (3rd yr., Senshu Univ.)
Toshiya Suzuki (2nd yr., Asia Univ.)
Ryo Kagitani (4th yr., Hosei Univ.)
Masato Enta (4th yr., Ryutsu Keizai Univ.)
Naohiro Domoto (4th yr., Nihon Univ.)
(c) 2011 Brett Larner
all rights reserved
photos (c) 2011 Daniel Seite
all rights reserved