JRN's mobile unit sustained damage during our recent trip to cover Grandma's Marathon. Apologies in advance for irregular service over the next week as the laptop is repaired, and likewise apologies for delays in responding to email over the same period.
At Grandma's, diminutive 2010 Senshu International Marathon winner Chihiro Tanaka experienced difficulty with the prevail headwinds of the day and finished only 12th. Tanaka did pick up an award for first in the 40+ age group but overall was disappointed with her showing. Invited male athlete Toyokazu Yoshimura ran in the lead pack through halfway before experiencing sharp pain in his left knee and dropping precipitously back in the field.
Japanese runners had a better day at the Steamboat Classic 4-Miler, taking four of the top ten spots in the women's race. Women's results are reproduced below.
2010 Steamboat Classic 4-Miler - Top Women's Finishers
1. Edna Kiplagat (Kenya) - 19:56
2. Jelliah Tinega (Kenya) - 20:17
3. Mari Ozaki (Japan) - 20:40
4. Rehima Kedir (Ethiopia) - 20:55
5. Rene Kalmer (South Africa) - 21:08
6. Kaori Oyama (Japan) - 21:16
7. Diane Nukuri-Johns (USA) - 21:26
8. Adriana Pirtea (Romania) - 21:31
9. Misato Horie (Japan) - 21:37
10. Yui Ouchi (Japan) - 21:47
(c) 2010 Brett Larner
all rights reserved