Skip to main content

Japan's Marathon Men Arrive in Beijing to Face the World

http://www.47news.jp/CN/200808/CN2008082201000744.html
http://www2.asahi.com/olympic2008/news/TKY200808210258.html
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/080821/spg0808211244007-n2.htm
http://www.47news.jp/CN/200808/CN2008081901000508.html

translated and edited by Brett Larner

Japan's three entrants in the Aug. 24 Beijing Olympics men's marathon, Atsushi Sato and Tsuyoshi Ogata of Team Chugoku Denryoku and Satoshi Osaki of Team NTT Nishi Nihon, arrived in Beijing on Aug. 21 after leaving from Osaka's Kansai International Airport. The next day, the team appeared at an official press conference in Beijing. Ogata, the 5th place finisher at last year's Osaka World Track and Field Championships marathon, confidently assured reporters, "I've done what I needed to do and I can't wait to run."

Sato, who holds the fastest qualifying time of the three athletes after running 2:07:13 at last December's Fukuoka International Marathon, was more subdued, saying, "I'm glad that I'll be there on the starting line. I want to run as well as I can." Osaki added, "I'm going to run my own race."

Looking at the results of the Aug. 17 women's marathon, in which the unheralded Romanian Constantina Tomescu broke from the field at 20 km to run away to the win while Japan's team had its worst-ever performance, Ogata reflected, "It goes to show that competing against the world is not so simple. No one can say that Japan will definitely medal. Even perfect preparation isn't enough to get you to the end." Osaki took inspiration from Tomescu's performance, saying, "Everyone has a chance of winning." Sato offered, "I'd like to keep myself in a position to respond to any move anyone makes at any point."

Japanese men have not won a medal in the Olympic marathon since Koichi Morishita of Team Asahi Kasei won silver in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. The failure of Japan's women to win a marathon medal in Beijing puts major pressure on Ogata, Osaki and Sato to perform.

To be continued shortly.

Comments

Brett Larner said…
I didn't want to include my personal predictions as part of this translation, but here they are.

Japanese finishing order:
Ogata - Osaki - Sato

I had been counting Ogata out for the same reason as I was Reiko Tosa in the women`s marathon: near invisibility since last summer's world championships. To be fair, Ogata had run a few ekidens and track races, but without any even slightly impressive results. Then he had a fantastic showing at June's Sapporo Int'l Half Marathon, just a few seconds off his PB. Not bad at age 35 during marathon training. It looks like he's planned his peak carefully and he sounds confident in interviews. Top 10 is probable, but it's hard to seem him snagging a bronze without hot conditions.

Osaki is solid and stable, with two 2:08's, a bronze medal in heat at the 2006 Asian Games and 6th in the heat at last year's WC marathon, but has never done anything really first-rate. He's been talking about nothing but the gold medal in all the interviews I've read, but while top 10 would not be surprising, anything higher would take a miracle breakthrough.

Sato. He's unquestionably the best of the bunch, but I don't think tomorrow's going to be his day. He was injured in the spring, had a dismal run at the Sapporo Half in June, then cancelled a Swiss training camp due to overtraining worries. Since cancelling the Swiss trip he has been invisible. He's not exactly exuding confidence in his comments, either. I think he's going to finish somewhere in the 20's. Place-wise, not 2:20's. Hopefully I'm wrong on this one.

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...