To everyone concerned, we wish you all the best in the midst of this fine late autumnal weather. We also extend our deepest gratitude for your continued support of the work of the Inter-University Athletics Union of Kanto (KGRR). After careful discussion, the KGRR is pleased to announce that the 97th Hakone Ekiden will be held as scheduled on Jan. 2 and 3, 2021 under the provisions of the JAAF's coronavirus era road racing guidelines.
Since its first running in 1920 the Hakone Ekiden has earned the dedicated support of fans and local residents, and despite the interruption of the Pacific War its tasuki has been handed on through 96 editions to date. In its 97th running the Hakone Ekiden will face the unprecedented challenge of the coronavirus crisis. We will take every step possible to hold the race safely, in accordance with JAAF guidelines and with the consultation and advice of top scientific experts in infections disease control.
Your passionate support for the athletes will reach them even if you are far from the course. We ask every ekiden fan, this time please show your support through your TV and other media. We are only able to hold this race with the support of the local residents along the course. The following measures will help ensure that this is a race that will continue to be cherished for many years to come:
1. All participants, including the members of every team, race staff and officials, must monitor and record their physical condition for the two weeks prior to the race and confirming that there are no abnormal changes.
2. For every participating university, we strongly ask that university officials, cheerleading squads, alumni, and families of athletes refrain from visiting the athletes at the race venue or cheering along the course.
3. We ask local residents not to go out to watch or cheer on the course, especially at the start, finish, and exchange zones.
4. In accordance with JAAF guidelines, we will continue to consult with experts on infectious disease control regarding additional measures.
Please be aware that the status of the event, including the option of cancelation, may change due to the ongoing situation with regard to the virus. In any eventuality, we thank you for your understanding and support.
translated by Brett Larner