Sapporo Beer, a division of Sapporo Holdings, Ltd., will begin selling its limited edition Sapporo Black Label Beer 2021 Hakone Ekiden commemorative can on Dec. 1 at stores nationwide and in its online shop. The can's design features the 21 tasuki of all 20 university teams scheduled to compete and the Kanto Student Alliance select team.
The Hakone Ekiden began in the Taisho era, and in its 96 runnings to date it has grown to become a Japanese New Year tradition nationwide. For two days serious ekiden fans and casual viewers alike are captivated by the wholehearted running of 210 young men competing for the honor of their school colors and passing on the tasuki that embodies each of them's hard work, hopes and dreams.
In honor of the Hakone Ekiden's 97th running, Sapporo will also present 97 people chosen by lottery with a special Sapporo Beer Commemorative Set. A proud sponsor of the Hakone Ekiden since 1987, in releasing this product alongside the race Sapporo hopes to create even more excitement around this nationally-popular mainstay of the New Year's holidays.
1. Product name: Sapporo Black Label Beer Hakone Ekiden Can
2. Packaging: 350 ml can
3. Product: beer
4. Alcohol content: 5%
5. Ingredients: malt (foreign and domestic (less than 5%)), hops, rice, corn, starch
6. Release date and territories: Dec. 1, 2020, nationwide
7. Planned quantity: 43,000 cases (24 350 ml cans per case)
Promotional Campaign Details
1. Campaign name: Sapporo Beer Original Commemorative Set Present Campaign
2. Entry deadline: postmarked by Jan. 29, 2021
3. Target item: Six-pack of 350 ml Sapporo Black Label Beer Hakone Ekiden cans
4. Entry method: Apply by mail using the application postcard printed on the inside of the target product packaging. Applications by any other method will not be accepted.
5. Prize and number of winners: 97 entrants will be randomly selected to receive the Sapporo Beer Original Commemorative Set. The set includes a limited edition Hakone commemorative plate and matching pair of limited edition beer mugs.
6. Entry mailing address: Sapporo Beer Original Commemorative Set Present Campaign Committee, P.O. Box 211, Nihonbashi Post Office, Japan Post Co., Ltd., 103-8691
7. Requirements for entry: Open to residents of Japan aged 20 or older.
8. Delivery of prizes: Planned for early March, 2021. Winners will not be notified before receiving prizes. In the event of unforeseen circumstances shipping of prizes may be delayed. Prizes may be changed if the race is postponed or canceled due to the coronavirus crisis.
Regarding Online Sales
1. Opening date: 10:00 a.m. Dec. 1, 2020
2. End of sales: Due to limited quantities, sales will end when the product is sold out.
3. Online price: 5,962 yen, tax and shipping included, for one case of 24 350 ml cans
4. Shipping: Shipped within one week of receipt of order.
Telephone enquiries accepted 10:00~17:00 Monday to Friday from Dec. 1 to Mar. 31, weekends and national holidays excluded, at 0120-359-106 (toll-free).
translated and edited by Brett Larner