Skip to main content

Hosoda on 6th-Place Finish at Sydney Marathon: "I'm Happy Everyone Celebrated With Me"









photo © 2025 Victah Sailer/PhotoRun, all rights reserved

On Sept. 9 Ai Hosoda (29, Edion), who became the first Japanese athlete to qualify for the MGC Race Los Angeles Olympics marathon trials when she finished 6th at last month's Sydney Marathon, updated her Instagram story to thank everyone who has congratulated her. She posted pictures of cakes decorated with messages of congratulations, bouquets of flowers, and pictures that people had drawn. "I'm happy that everyone celebrated with me," she wrote. "Even the hotel staff gave me flowers. Thank you all very much."

Hosoda ran 2:23:27 for 6th at the Sydney Marathon. That cleared the JAAF's criteria for the Olympic marathon trials, sub-2:23:30, making Hosoda the first athlete female or male to score a place on the starting line of the trials race expected to be held the fall of 2027. Right after the race on Aug. 31 she posted, "I finally got to run in the country I always wanted to visit the most. Everywhere you look it's a beautiful country, and I was so happy to get to run Sydney the first year it became part of the World Marathon Majors. It was the hardest course ever and had absolutely zero flat parts. My muscles hurt even when I was running!"

Translator's note: Ranked 5th in the women's field on best time from 2023 to 2025, Hosoda finished 6th 5:05 behind winner Sifan Hassan. Ranked 19th on 2023-2025 time in the men's field, Masato Arao was also 6th in 2:07:42, 1:36 behind winner Hailemaryam Kiros, but did not earn a place at the Olympic trials due to not breaking the JAAF's 2:06:30 criterion.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so pleased for Ai Hosoda's success in all distances this year and I really believe she has the potential to one day break the Japanese Marathon record set by Honami Maeda. It was a fantastic run in Sydney. Well done to her!

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...