Skip to main content

My Training for 1:00:44


Hi, I'm Ayumu Kobayashi. Today I'm going to write about this year's National Corporate Half Marathon and the training I did for it. I hope other runners will find it even a little bit helpful. At the Corporate Half on Feb. 13 I was 10th in 1:00:44. My goal had been to run 61 minutes, so I hit that target.

My Training Menu

In January I ran a total of 681 km. Key workouts:
  • Jan. 11: 1000 m x 5 at 2:50/km
  • Jan. 12: 22.5 km
  • Jan. 15: 9 km variable pace
  • Jan. 17: 25 km
  • Jan. 24: 1000 m x 8 at 2:52/km
  • Jan. 27: 1 km + 4 km + 2 km
  • Jan. 30: 16 km at 3:18/km avg.
In January I was tired from the New Year Ekiden and had some knee pain after it, so I just jogged for 10 days until I started doing workouts again on the 11th. That's why I only ran 681 km for the month. But even on the jog days I was aware that I had the Corporate Half coming up, so I was doing around 30 km. It's pretty meat and potatoes, but I think it was really important.

February (training for the 10 days before the race)
  • Feb. 2: 11.7 km jog in 52 min, plus 5000 m x 2 in 14:34 / 14:31
  • Feb. 3: 22 km jog in 98 min
  • Feb. 4: 14 km jog in 67 min, plus 13.2 km jog in 66 min
  • Feb. 5: 11 km jog in 51 min, plus 12000 m in 38:49, 3:14/km avg.
  • Feb. 6: 16 km jog in 73 min
  • Feb. 7: 14.1 km jog in 68 min, plus 14 km jog in 67 min
  • Feb. 8: 18 km jog in 82 min
  • Feb. 9: 10 km jog in 47 min, plus 5000 m in 14:26
  • Feb. 10: 14.3 km jog in 67 min
  • Feb. 11: 10.5 km jog in 50 min, plus 10 km jog in 45 min
  • Feb. 12: 10 km jog in 46 min
  • Feb. 13: 4.3 km jog in 20 min, plus National Corporate Half in 1:00:44
Starting in the second half of January, I incorporate long intervals into my training specifically to build speed endurance. The Feb. 2 workout with 5000 m x2 around 14:30 felt easy, so I felt like I could go around 1:01:00. The pace in the jogs was mostly around 4:30~4:40/km. The focus there was doing them comfortably while concentrating on my form. I didn't think about the pace at all.

I think the most important thing in the final lead-up to the race is staying fresh, so the training load in the week before it was fairly light. That's really the only point where I was thinking in terms of tapering. I think not doing enough is better than overdoing it, so please look at my training plan in those terms. Most of this training was planned and done by myself and has nothing to do with what the rest of the team was doing.

About the race

In the Corporate Half I went through 15 km in 43:15 feeling easy, but it suddenly got harder at 16 km. I hung on and held 2:53~54/km from there to finish. The other people up front still seemed to be running easily after 15 km, so I felt like there was a pretty big difference from how much I still had left in me. I'm good at hanging on when it gets hard, but I understood that if I want to be able to be more competitive in the future then I need to be able to increase my ability to maintain comfort at speed.

In short, that's what I have to say about my prep for this half. I hope you find it useful. Thanks for reading.

source article:
translated by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

MICHAEL RIMICANS said…
Interesting account of your training, all the best for your next race!
PSousa said…
I love this articles! This and the other "On making a National Record" are awesome! Thanks so much for your blog!
Regards from Portugal!

Paulo Sousa

Most-Read This Week

World Championships Medalist Racewalking Coach Mizuho Sakai Recognized With Highest Coaching Honor

The 2023 Mizuno Sports Mentor Awards recognizing excellence in coaching were held Apr. 23 in Tokyo. Toyo University assistant coach and race walking coach Mizuho Sakai was given a gold award, the program's highest honor, and expressed her thanks and joy in a speech at the award ceremony. The coach of 2023 Budapest World Championships men's 35 km race walk bronze medalist Masatora Kawano , Sakai said, "This is an incredible honor and I'm truly grateful. As a child I wanted to be in the sporting world and I've spent my life in that world. My end goal was always to play a supporting role for other athletes, so I'm honored to be recognized in this way." Sakai's husband Toshiyuki Sakai , head coach of Toyo's three-time Hakone Ekiden champion team, attended the awards gala with her and was also introduced to the audience. After bowing he took a seat in front of her and watched with warmth as she received recognition for her outstanding work. The Mizun

Okumoto and Kondo Score Silver and Bronze - U20 Asian Championships Day One

The U20 Asian Athletics Championships started Wednesday in Dubai, U.A.E. Narumi Okumoto (Hitachi) and Nozomi Kondo (Meijo Univ.) scored Japan's first two medals in the women's 3000 m, running behind leader Yaxuan Li of China over the first 1000 m. Kondo lost touch after the first 1000 m, while Okumoto lasted another 1000 m with Li. Li took gold in 9:12.79, Okumoto silver in 9:25.19 and Kondo bronze in 9:38.91. In qualifying rounds: Both Yuri Nishida (Ritsumeikan Univ.) and Sari Kameda (Kyoto Kyoiku Univ.) won their women's 800 m heats and advanced to the next round, Nishida in a PB 2:07.36 and Kamei in 2:10.87, also a PB. Shota Fuchigami (Waseda Univ.) won his 400 mH heat in a PB 50.19 to make the final. Hiroto Shogomori (Chuo Univ.) was 2nd in his 400 m heat in 47.37, yet another athlete to run a PB, moving on to the semifinals. The lone female sprinter on the Japanese team, Misaki Morimoto (Sonoda Joshi Gakuen Univ.) won her 100 m heat in 12.20 (-1.4) and advance

Hirabayashi Runs PB at Shanghai Half, WR Holder Nakata Dominates Fuji Five Lakes - Weekend Road Roundup

Returning to the roads after his 2:06:18 win at February's Osaka Marathon, Kiyoto Hirabayashi (Koku Gakuin University) took 5th at Sunday's Shanghai Half Marathon in a PB 1:01:23, just under a minute behind winner Roncer Kipkorir Konga (Kenya) who clocked a CR 1:00:29. After inexplicably running the equivalent of a sub-59 half marathon to win the Hakone Ekiden's Third Stage, Aoi Ota (Aoyama Gakuin Univ.) was back to running performances consistent with his other PBs with a 1:02:30 for 8th. His AGU teammate Kyosuke Hiramatsu was 10th in 1:04:00. Women's winner Magdalena Shauri (Tanzania) also set a new CR in 1:09:57. Aoyama Gakuin runners took the top four spots in the men's half marathon at the Aomori Sakura Marathon , with Hakone alternate Kosei Shiraishi getting the win in 1:04:32 and B-team members Shunto Hamakawa and Kei Kitamura 2nd and 3rd in 1:04:45 and 1:04:48. Club runners took the other division titles, Hina Shinozaki winning the women's half