Skip to main content

Post-Race Quotes From the Japanese Men's World Championships Marathon Team

translated by Brett Larner

Kitaoka, Oda, Kawauchi, Nakamoto and Horibata with their team silver medals, Japan's eighth-straight World Championships finishing on the men's team podium. Click photo to enlarge.

Hiroyuki Horibata (Team Asahi Kasei) - 7th, 2:11:52

"I came down with a fever before the race.  It didn't hold me back and I ran with my full strength, but now I can't breathe through my nose.  It was cloudy on race day and felt very cool so I thought it was going to go out fast, but it started a little slow.  After 5 km the pace started going back and forth, something I've never experienced before.  It was my first time running Worlds, and up until 15 km I had some margin to enjoy it, but after 20 km things picked way up and I could feel the margin disappearing from my legs.  I figured the pace would slow down again so I thought I would try to stick with them, but things never slowed down and I drifted back from the top pack.  This time my training was solid all the way until the end, so even once I was all alone I had confidence that I'd be able to keep going like I did in practice.  Finishing 7th met my pre-race goals, so I'm very happy about that."

Kentaro Nakamoto (Team Yasukawa Denki) - 10th, 2:13:10

"It was good that I was able to hang on through the second half but I'm disappointed at not making the top eight.  I feel disappointment and a sense of accomplishment about fifty-fifty.  I couldn't roll with [the Africans] when they started shaking things up."

Yuki Kawauchi (Saitama Pref.) - 18th, 2:16:11

"Personally speaking it was a failure, but I'm glad I was able to help win a [team] medal.  I achieved my minimum goal.  I had trouble sleeping because of stress, but once I started running it was like normal.  After I finished my hands, feet, lips, thighs and shoulders were all shaking.  I'm glad I could do something for Japan.  In the winter I'm going to run Fukuoka and Tokyo.  I'll be shooting for 2:07 there, or at least Seko and Nakayama's best times"

Yoshinori Oda (Team Toyota) - 29th, 2:18:05

"I couldn't handle the speed all the international runners brought.  In my training before the race I focused on building my stamina, but I can see now that I should have worked on my speed more as well.  The left leg injury I've had before felt like it was on the edge of coming back, so I tried to just maintain a steady pace but it was hard and I had to just run by feel.  It was a good experience.  It'll be a bitter memory but I hope to learn from it for my next marathon."

Yukihiro Kitaoka (Team NTN) - 38th, 2:23:11

"I'd had injury problems and was just barely ready.  After the beginning of August I felt a lot lighter but I didn't have nearly enough training under my belt.  It was hard after 5 km and there was no way around that, but since I was running for the Japanese national team I'm glad I was able to finish."

Update 9/7/11: Click here for a screenshot of American track fansite Letsrun.com's strangely bigoted response to Japan's silver medal.

source articles:
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/athletics/seriku/2011/news/p-sp-tp0-20110905-830600.html
http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/osaka/sports/article/news/20110905-OHO1T00079.htm
http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/article/sports/news/CK2011090502000071.html
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/110905/spg1109050506002-n2.htm
http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/asahi/jp/csr/sports/rikujo/result/2011/110904.html
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/athletics/seriku/2011/news/f-sp-tp0-20110904-830294.html
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/athletics/seriku/2011/news/f-sp-tp0-20110904-830298.html
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/athletics/seriku/2011/news/f-sp-tp0-20110904-830299.html

Comments

Brett Larner said…
The letsrun link to this article erroneously says Japan won bronze, not silver, and its author apparently believes team scoring is based on top three placing rather than combined time.

Not sure what to make of letsrun's seeming dismissal of the Japanese team's accomplishment as only due to "some other countries screw[ing] up." Japan had the third-best team on paper and, while it's true that they got silver rather than bronze thanks to three Ethiopians dropping out, Japan would have had to be the one screwing up not to finish in the medals.
Kenyan Runner said…
Hi Bret,

I have also been a little bit baffled by some of Letsrun's comments of late. Anything achieved by a non American is in danger of being downplayed or undervalued at the moment it seems.

Congrats Japan - I think anyone with the slightest knowledge of world marathoning knows that Japan is an incredibly strong country in terms of depth!
Anonymous said…
Awesome running in difficult conditions.
Brett Larner said…
Via Race Results Weekly:

Marathon World Cup:
(Score there men per nation on total time):

1. KEN, 6:29:23 USD 20,000
2. JPN, 6:41:13 15,000
3. MAR, 6:42:18 12,000
4. ESP, 6:53:41 10,000
5. CHN, 6:54:32 8,000
6. KOR, 6:57:03 6,000
7. USA, 7:04:52
[7 teams total]

Most-Read This Week

Waseda Leads Top 7 Teams Under Izumo Ekiden CR, Ivy League Best-Ever 3rd (updated)

3rd last year, Waseda University scored its first Izumo Ekiden win since 2010, taking almost 2 minutes off the CR and leading the top 7 teams under the old record of 2:07:51 for the complete 6-stage, 45.1 km course. Waseda was 16 seconds back in 7th after the First Stage, but its 2nd runner Ojiro Honda made that up easily and put them 6 seconds out front. A massive 22:56 CR for the 8.5 km Third Stage by Shadrack Kipkemei (Nihon Univ.) dropped Waseda back to 2nd even though its runner Ryuki Suzuki broke the old CR too, but back-to-back CR on the next 2 stages by 1st-year Haruki Niizuma and Shunpei Yamaguchi put anchor Shinsaku Kudo out of reach of the rest of the field. Kudo duly won the 10.2 km anchor stage in 29:00, bypassing a 2:06 time entirely for a new 2:05:56 CR, just under 2:48/km average pace for the complete course. Defending champ Koku Gakuin University struggled a bit in the first half of the race but came on strong in the longer second half with 4th and 5th runners...

Kipyegon Repeats, Toyo Wins Hakone Ekiden Qualifier in First Appearance in 21 Years

Back for the first time in 21 years after a disastrous 14th-place finish at the 102nd Hakone Ekiden this past January, Toyo University hit one out of western Tokyo's Showa Kinen Park with a solid win at the Hakone Ekiden Yosenkai, the half marathon that serves as the official qualifying race for the 103rd Hakone Ekiden. The top 10 teams in the Hakone auto-qualify for the following year, with the rest having to run the Yosenkai in October with a squad of 10 to 16 runners out of which the top 10 score on aggregate time, with the 10 fastest schools joining the Hakone field and top individuals from non-qualifying teams names to the Kanto Region Student Alliance select team to make up the complete Hakone field of 21. Driven in large part by an aggressive run from 3rd-year Yu Miyazaki , one of only 2 Japanese athletes to go with the big African contingent up front, Toyo won in 10:31:30, 1:03:09 or 2:59.6/km per athlete. As the first team to have broken the 3:00/km average pace barrie...

Ngetich and Mutiso Take Down Tokyo Legacy Half CR

In its 5th edition the Tokyo Legacy Half Marathon scored 2 new course records via Kenyans from the Ikaika agency, with 10 km WR holder Agnes Ngetich blasting 3 minutes off the old record to win by over 4 in 1:04:23, and Alexander Mutiso skimming just 1 second under the CR for the win by 5 seconds in 59:51. The 2 races played out completely differently, even if the paydays were the same for the winners. Surrounded by an envelope of male runners all the way to the final 100 m, Ngetich was out hard on the downhill in the first 5 km, hitting it on sub-64 pace in 15:08 before leveling out on the flat middle 10 km. Her next 2 splits projected to 1:04:09 and 1:04:17, and even with the uphill back to the stadium in the last 5 km she didn't fall far off from that, winning in 1:04:23. Runner-up Tabitha Njeri Kamau was nearly a mile back in 1:08:28, with Kamau's Mitsui Sumitomo Kaijo teammate Kazuna Kanetomo dropping a 1:10:17 PB for 3rd. Now an independent, track Olympian Kaede Ha...